Asbestos garage planning-free like for like replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Removing asbestos garage 0.9 m from two boundaries, almost 3m high. Rear of garden.

Believe permitted development requires planning for anything over 2.5m within 2m from a boundary.

Can I replace it with a timber framed, shiplapped building, of same size with no services/utilities in a short order and not need planning? I.e. like taking a fence down and replacing same form on same spot?

I.e. I don't want to have to replace it piecemeal-walls x 4 then roof, but don't want to have to apply to have a building there of the same size. Neighbours likely to complain as always wanted (have expressed such) it gone.

We want to have a space for teenagers to hang out that is warm and dry.

Alternative is a caravan but once our old garage is gone we'd have lost the rights to have such a sized building on our property which would be a loss in the minds of prospective buyers?

Any pointers/thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Short answer- no, you'd need pp to replace the building. Not sure why the walls would have to come down- a reroof only would not require permission.

If you can re-roof it, and if you can re-clad the walls, you will end up with a new one.

Thanks for replies.
Apologies for omitting details: Asbestos garage means its all asbestos cement. Walls inside and out, as well as roof.

Sponsored Links
Short answer- no, you'd need pp to replace the building. Not sure why the walls would have to come down- a reroof only would not require permission.

I was afraid that might be the case... To rebuild in same place at 2.5m high would be a bit of a bugger I suppose. But I might make a single (one pitch) roof...

It's a shame that I could do it in stages and arrive legitimately at the same place as if doing a wholesale demolish and rebuild...

I would photograph it to make a record, and then replace the walls with block, followed by the roof, which could be steel sheet or other alternatives. My opinion is that piecemeal may be the way forward because if you don't actually knock it down but "repair" it by replacing the asbestos sheet with something else, then it's maintenance and not a new-build. Be interesting to see more opinions. If the building is <15sqm then you could use timber, if it's 15<30sqm it has to be >1m from the boundary if not made from substantially non-combustible materials (as asbestos would be).

the aggravation of doing it in stages, it might be better to apply for planning -which is possible to do yourself, although you might need a bit of advice to avoid it getting rejected at validation

Replacement in stages that results in a complete or significantly new item is the same as a complete replacement in planning law, and the same planning rules apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back