asbestos gutter - cost of replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are about to buy a 1950's ex council terrace, which has asbestos guttering. Surveyor has advised that this needs replacing.

Does anyone have any idea how much we are looking at to get it sorted by a professional?

And, if we decided to do it ourselves (because apparantly it's low risk as long as you don't saw it...) how difficult is it to remove concrete gutters while standing on a very tall ladder?

Thanks

Mrs H

Please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
mrsh said:
Hi,

how difficult is it to remove concrete gutters while standing on a very tall ladder?

Thanks

Mrs H

easy to pry away, not so easy to stop it damaging something on the way down :eek:

Please note forum rule 9

Rule 9) Please don't ask costs / prices. Get several quotes, then you will know for sure

Whats wrong with asking costs etc? Example little old lady gets 2 quotes for 2 and 2.5k when they both happen to be off cowboys.

If little old lady asks in here, reliable and honest roofers can turn round and say don't pay anymore than 1.5k or could put her in contact with someone they could recommend for her area.

I sense a rule 22 coming on ;)

Maxxy is not wrong

Its probably because you cant realistically give a quote without seeing the job. The little old lady could be told on here it'll cost less than 1500, but theres factors she hasnt mentioned because shes not a roofer, so has no idea what shes looking for etc.

Sponsored Links
WHY it need replacing :?: if it aint leaking from the joints/brackets are rusting thru .........surveyors just got asbestophobia like most bureaucratic building related people :LOL:

Please note forum rule 9

We went through this nonsense some time ago. As I recall, the result was POSTERS 1 : MODS 0

Do we HAVE to go through it all again? and for what benefit? Just stop inventing unnecessary rules, life is bad enough with the government and their incessant medalling.

As for the surveyor, he has nothing better to say, and probably didn't get close enough to see. What's the betting he knows a roffing and guttering firm?

"so long ago, was it a dream , ? was it just a dream " .........John Lennon ...No.9 dream :LOL: :cool:

hi, i have removed many of said gutters along with many other thousands of square metres of asbestos sheeting, as long as you keep the dust to a minimum and wear suitable ppe, mask gloves etc, it is possible to cut as long as you use some kind of damping down on the cut, i get away with wallpaper adhesive, the hse advised me to use this, but make sure you cut it up small as it can be quite heavy!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back