Asbestos (in UK)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was asbestos ever used in roof insulation and if so, how do we check if the insulation in our roof contains asbestos? I've read that you send off a sample to a lab and they check it for you.
I've got the impression that it was only used in making stuff fire-retardent, so maybe it isn't found in roof insulation but the resources I've come across so far havn't been too helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
why not ask the people / magazine who wrote the article that you read.

you would be wrong in thinking that asbestos was only used for fire proofing.

as you your self said your roof may be asbestos (it may not) but why would you want a fire proof roof, bit late then isnt it.

just imagine it now,

................chief fire officer walks up to you "good luck mate, me and the lads will be off, fire is all out. Look on the bright side you still have your roof, no building left but you do have a roof."

They made lots of corirgated sheets with it, so if you could make it with a corigated sheet you used asbestos

its very unlikely to be in normal roof insulation. Its more likely to be glass fibre (ouch)

Sponsored Links
asbestos was also used for the 6" pipes coming from a bathroom extractor in some old houses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back