Is this asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have just purchased a 1940s-built property that had a lot of artex in it which we have had tested and has been found to contain asbestos. We also know that the house's original roof had asbestos.

The bloke who tested our artex also claimed that the plasterboard which originally insulated the chimney contained asbestos, although he didn't actually look at the stuff in our house; rather he just claimed that this is what houses of this type (BISF) had originally contained. Whilst lots of this has been removed, some of it is still remaining in one of the bedroom cupboards (see attached picture).

I don't know much about DIY but I can't find any pictures of asbestos fibreboard online that look like this, which seems like plaster rather than being fibrous (which seems how asbestos-containing products normally are). I also can't find any reference to BISFs having asbestos fibreboard lining the chimney shaft or anywhere else, even though there are plenty of references to its being in the ceiling and in various other locations in the construction.

I realize we would need a test to be certain but can anyone indicate whether or not this looks like it contains asbestos, or is just ordinary plasterboard?

Attachments

• 20160729_070025.jpg
    20160729_070025.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 252
Sponsored Links
Looks like plasterboard, asbestos cannot be identified via a photo [unless it has the work asbestos printed on it.]

You need to Google image search the term AIB asbestos or asbestos insulation board, some of it looks very close to plasterboard to me but the only way to know is to have it tested

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back