Asbestos Roof - Insurance Claim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
After a recent storm I found my garage flooded :(

The water had come through quite a large area of the roof (I can't get up to look as I am disabled) from inside the garage looking up you can clearly see where the roof is completely sodden and where the rain has come in.

It is an asbestos roof and though it has been on for years this is the first time I've had this happen. I've rang my insurance company who said usually they try to repair but as its asbestos they will probably have it removed and replaced.

My neighbour has expressed doubt about them doing this as he says he can't see any obvious structural damage - but the storm was heavy enough for it to come through and flood the garage so I wonder how likely it is they'll remove/replace it?

Anyone any experience of this? [/b]

Sponsored Links
If the damage is a result of storms your insurance company will replace any damaged units with alternative sheets to asbestos.

If the profile cannot be matched to patch in then they normally will replace the full roof.

Storm damage will need to be actual damage caused be a storm, rather than just a lot of water getting in.

It seems like you may have just normal wear and tear, which is not normally covered

If you are covered, then full replacement of all the asbestos would be normal, as risk assessments tend to prevent any work on asbestos material, so no patching or part replacement

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Daniel, no, the water has soaked through the roof definitely; its from the back towards the middle of the garage, the roof is still soaking now, days later.

Thanks for replies guys. I only hope the insurance chap confirms the damage is due to storm - I dread to think how much it will cost if I have to pay to have it done myself :eek:

full replacement of all the asbestos would be normal, as risk assessments tend to prevent any work on asbestos material, so no patching or part replacement

I wish that was the case! In 12 yrs we have never had a spec from the loss adjusters to replace full roofs because of one or two damaged units.

The various asbestos regulations and safe working practices may well mean that you should not be working on or with the cement sheets, unless you are licensed or do the necessary sampling, or the job is so brief that your risk assessments do not identify a risk of exposure.

I am not sure how the contractual relationship with the loss adjusters will affect liability - ie just because they only award a job for a patch repair, may not mean it is safe or lawful for you to go ahead with that. But if they are employers, then they would be liable

Obviously there is a vested interest in the insurers not paying out for full removal of asbestos, but whether any liability is theirs or yours as contractor, would need looking in to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back