asbestos

When a child 8-12yrs old, i smashed loads of asbestas garages that where coming down, we burnt the asbestus so it blew up 80 metres in the air showering us kids with it. Im 51 and have no probs to date, don't worry..

I know people who worked most of their life in this industry and i see them regularly.
Survivor bias.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_bias

Sponsored Links
hi
and thanks, thats what I think, when I rang they said I had a small amount of asbestos in the floor tiles in the hall, and it looked as if they had chizzled it out then placed some with boards others they just put back but hollow beneath. as I say the sticker is way above the airing cupboard door so high it took a six foot fella to see it (Brother in law). I want to see the report, yeah it might make me more worried but also it may give me peace of mind too.

googled thermoplastic tiles and yes they have contained asbestos in past manufacture all though the risks are were low, I think the guy who authorised their removal was thinking of the carpet fitters and floor fitters of the future where damage to the tiles around the edges of the room is likely.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/repairs/deadly-dust/6519107.article

update
just had a company around called apec who did an air test for £105, sent someone within 30 mins tested and resulted same day air clear of
fibers.

No doubt about it asbestos isn't nice stuff but if it's in good condition it's often best to leave it in place... as per HSE recommendations.
The asbestos content in your floor tiles will have been relatively small and unless the tiles were breaking down the best thing might have been to leave them in place.
An air test will only test what is present in the air... so unless you swept the effected room prior to the air test it probably wouldn't show anything.
The black bitumen type residue is just what they used to fix the tiles on with in the 60's. When I took my tiles up it was the same: you need to put down a vapor screen before you lay any sort of wooden flooring so that will protect the flooring from any damage.
I visited Hulme quite a few times and when they say that the Crescents in Hulme were riddled with asbestos it is no understatement: many of the walls were made of asbestos concrete panels so every time you put up a shelf you were putting yourself at some risk.

Sponsored Links
as people here have already mentioned as long as the asbestos is not damaged, broken, crumbling or being drilled into you have nothing to worry about, in fact on one occassion i was instructed to just paint over a step that contained asbestos to make it safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back