Asphalt / cut-back on concrete kitchen floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Looking for some advice.

Have a 50's kitchen floor, or rather 'had' consisting of linoleum stuck to concrete using a black asphalt compound.

I have removed all the linoleum tiles (extremely hard work) and now I am left with a smooth intact concrete floor with a soaked in covering of this adhesive.

I can't scrape any more of it off, there is no excess.

We want to use Marmoleum for the new kitchen floor and the directions clearly state that all previous adhesives should be removed or dealt with in one of three ways:

Total removal with a scarifier
Laying of a new compound over the top
Priming and sealing the surface

I have contacted my local HSS tool hire and enquired about the scarifier and they inform me that it will score the surface rather than leave it nice and smooth. Other machines they have for surface preparation seem to be even more aggressive or will merely melt the cut-back and clog the machine.

I don't want to have to lay a new compound as it will mess up the levels with the hall flooring and seems excessive when the floor is already in such a good condition.

The final option seems the best but they give no indication what to use. The only primers I can find are either to prepare for a new screed or for floor paint.

Any ideas?

Anyone have any experience of a floor scarifier and whether it will damage the floor that much?

What would you suggest as a primer allowing a good adhesion of the specified Marmoleum adhesive?

Any other ideas?

Cheers guys (and girls)

Sponsored Links
Phone Forbo [manufacturers of marmoleum] technical on 01592 643777 for advice. You will need to prepare the sub floor in line with their guidelines for laying rather than based on how good the floor is, to give you some comeback should the product fail.
They should be able to email you some details on the best way to proceed.
For sub floor prep products you could try Mapei in Halesowen - a manufacturer - they have a very helful technical department who can give you advice on various screeds & compounds - 0121 5086970
Lastly F. Ball can help you out - 01538 361567. They manufacture the adhesives and some finishing compounds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back