Assistance and advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are living in a 1920 ex- council house and decorating our home. My husband has been stripping the paint off the banister, which has had loads of coats of paint. He has now stopped as he has a feeling there maybe asbestos in the first layer in the paint. Is this likely and what do we do next?
We have also since found out that our outside shed has an asbestos roof.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Chermx5

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure I've ever heard of asbestos in paint before - unless it was some weird fireproof coating - what makes you think it's got asbestos in it? Has it got fibers in it?

The paint will almost certainly contain lead however, so ensure that the area is well ventilated whilst removing the paint.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of asbestos in paint before - unless it was some weird fireproof coating - what makes you think it's got asbestos in it? Has it got fibers in it?

The paint will almost certainly contain lead however, so ensure that the area is well ventilated whilst removing the paint.

Agreed on both counts.

I wouldn't worry about the asbestos shed roof, either, unless you're planning on scraping it while inhaling the dust. The real risk is from loose blue asbestos used as insulation, not white asbestos sheeting. Seal it with paint if you're worried.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Thanks for advice. My husband got worried about the paint, after someone said to him to get it checked as there could be asbestos contained in it, due to the amount and smell it was causing as it was being taken off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back