Asus Striker Extreme motherboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
This motherboard powers up but there is nothing on the screen; no bios doesn't post etc. The monitor doesn't even come off standby. There is an LCD built into the motherboard that is supposed to display error messages upon boot. All I get on it are 2 vertical lines.
To me this suggests a broken bios chip, like someone has tried to flash it and it had gone wrong. I have tried a new bios chip but we had to solder it in (it didn't have a socket on it like some of the same model)and it being SMT made it very difficult using not much but a soldering iron. Anyway, after trying this, it does exactly the same thing, that is to say no screen, bios etc.
I've also looked up on many forums for this problem and any error codes like the 2 vertical lines but to no avail. :evil:
Any help/info/inclings(lol) would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it was the bios chip? Since I can't see Asus decide to solder it to the pcb then in a later version decide to go back to using removable chips.

I know with some motherboards if you just have an optical drive connected with the cd that came with the motherboard in it. It can auto flash it’s self to repair a corrupt bios.

djrock

If it aint posting, you sure you cpu is seated correctly?
Not all mobo's post the same anyway. It could also be memory related and still not give a post beep.

You must have been desparate to try soldering on a bios chip, unless you truly have exhausted ALL other possibilities.
Does the error code on the lcd not mean anything in the manual?

Yea, i'm sure its the bios chip. I did some research into it and it seems that they soldered some on for some reason and then decided to put a socket on (Incredibly odd i know).

The cpu is seated correctly, i've done it over and over to make sure, and checked all the pins and that all seems fine.

As to the error code, it's completely ridiculous, there is nothing and i mean nothing in the manual. Its insane. I''ve searched everywhere.

I've come to the conclusion that someone tried flashing it and it went horribly wrong. lol.

I didn't know about the cd flashing it thing. I'll look into that.

Thank you all for your help, its much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Just had a though have you tried clearing the cmos? Since if its corrupt it can cause issues. If it does work try removing the mains power and the cmos battery. Leave it for say 10 to 15mins.

djrock

Hi,
This motherboard powers up but there is nothing on the screen; no bios doesn't post etc. The monitor doesn't even come off standby. There is an LCD built into the motherboard that is supposed to display error messages upon boot. All I get on it are 2 vertical lines.
To me this suggests a broken bios chip, like someone has tried to flash it and it had gone wrong. I have tried a new bios chip but we had to solder it in (it didn't have a socket on it like some of the same model)and it being SMT made it very difficult using not much but a soldering iron. Anyway, after trying this, it does exactly the same thing, that is to say no screen, bios etc.
I've also looked up on many forums for this problem and any error codes like the 2 vertical lines but to no avail. :evil:
Any help/info/inclings(lol) would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Hi
I have the same problem from the motherboard as you. Please tell me whether in your case, the reason for failure was the bios?
Please write how you solve your problem

may sound daft, have you checked the PSU? we have had a batch at work where the extra power lead required by some mobos has gone, so it will spin eveything up, and seem like its working, but thats about it.

may sound daft, have you checked the PSU? we have had a batch at work where the extra power lead required by some mobos has gone, so it will spin eveything up, and seem like its working, but thats about it.

So I checked to connect PSU to the motherboard as well as other PSU plugged into the motherboard.
Dispaly poster shows information ''cpu init'' but some lines are gone and it is very difficult to read information.

Sponsored Links
Back