Attaching gymnastic rings to joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a set of gymnastic rings that I want to set up at home. Unfortunately I do not have any exposed beams or anything I can just hook them over. So I have been looking into how to attach them to the joists. The room I will be using is the middle floor of my house, so the joists above are floor joists rather than attic joists (if that makes sense). At the minute, the floor above is being decorated so I can lift a few floor boards to get at the joists.

What would be the best way of attaching these? I would rather attach something that bolts horizontally through the joist rather than up vertically, and will also be blocking between the joists used to increase strength and limit movement of the joists.

I have been thinking of using something like this as a basis:
http://britishbbqer.com/2012/04/03/installing-gym-rings-in-garage/

Though to me, since the rings only need to be attached about 20" apart, I would rather use eyebolts that are long enough to be secured through maybe two joists rather than one to spread the weight a little more evenly, again with blocking between the joists.

Thanks!

EDIT: My house is an old (>100 years old) Victorian end terrace, solid walls, three storey.

Sponsored Links
That fixing you have shown is appalling, swinging on the rings will open the rough old holes in the ceiling to rough old slots. First of all when you grasp your rings will the joists be running from side to side or fore and aft?
Frank

Hi Frank, thanks for your response.

I will be tidying up the hole in the ceiling with a suitable rubber trim/grommet rather than having the raw cut exposed, so that if there is any rubbing, it won't cut away at the ceiling. There shouldn't be much swinging on the rings, just static pushing and pulling.

Yeah I didn't think that approach was ideal, but just used it to give an idea of a possible solution, which is why I wanted some advice from someone who was a builder. Other options I have considered were punch bag joist hangers, like the following. A pro of this is that the eye bolt would be below the ceiling line and limit rubbing on the ceiling.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/titleboxing_2270_37850148

I am planning that when I grasp the rings, the joists will be running from in front of me to behind me (is that what you mean by fore and aft?) rather than from right to left. I don't want to attach both rings to one single joist at any point.

Thanks!

After doing a little more research, I found this method:
http://cpconstantlyvaried.com/2012/01/02/201201crossfit-home-gym-how-to-hang-gymnastic-html/

Using a heavy duty tow rope, I like this approach as it is way stronger than putting bolts into the joists as it maintains their integrity and spreads the load over two joists (I would put blocking between the joists where the straps sit to limit bowing and movement). I would cut a small groove out of the bottom of the floor boards so that there is a little space between them and the strap.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back