Attaching timber beams on top of posts for decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
We're building a slightly raised deck, (raised about 30cm), in the garden. We decided to install posts, (100mm), and concrete them in, which is underway, with the idea of then bolting 50x150mm beams either side of the posts. However, I have since read that this is no longer advised since all the weight is on the bolts and that a metal post cap should be used to sit the timbers on top. Search as I may, I can't find any of these post caps in the UK, (perhaps I'm searching with the wrong terms) - can anyone help by pointing me to some or by suggesting an alternative method of securing the beams on top of the post? We don't have room to notch the post unfortunately.
Thanks massively in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Attaching the joists to the columns with screws/bolts etc is perfectly acceptable.

Some on here will insist that the timber posts do not go beneath ground level and for that avenue, metal post shoes can be required. Is that what you are saying?

Personally unless you intend to stay in your house for 20 years I think its overkill.

We're burying the posts - didn't realise that there was any argument against!
Apparently there's some metalwork that you can buy to attach the beams onto the top of the post. Taken from eHow:

"Purchase a post beam cap of galvanised metal the correct size to fit. It will have two plates extending up to fit on either side of the beam and two extending down to fit on either side of the post."

So we could get those, (but I can't find any), we could bolt through or we could just use ties or something like that? What's preferable?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back