Attic Brick Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on getting my attic converted into a bedroom. Nothing fancy, velux windows, electrics, heating, insulation, flooring etc. I am going through building control. Had an architect out this morning to have a look. The house is a 1920's mid terraced and the attic has exposed brick walls on either side and huge beams. I really wanted to keep the beams and rafters exposed (insulate and plaster between each) however the architect told me it wouldn't meet regs. The killer though is that he told me I cannot retain the brick walls because I would need to insulate them and have them plastered over which is really disappointing as I really wanted them exposed. I have seen a number of conversations online that have the beams and brick walls exposed. I can live with the beams but the bricks is something I really wanted. I am based in the NI. Any ideas if I should get a second opinion or not? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I can't see how you could achieve your dream.

The requirement is that you insulate to the required standards unless its not possible or not practical or viable.

You could try and replicate the wall and beams theme after upgrading the wall and ceiling.

As @^woody^ , to create a habitable room you'll have to insulate external walls. If you are mid-terrace you could claim that the walls aren't external & thus don't require insulation but you'll regret it from an energy and comfort point of view.
Vacform brick mouldings would replicate the walls (or brick slips), purlins and rafters could be mocked up inside the insulation also but they'll cost you space and money.

If you are mid-terrace you could claim that the walls aren't external & thus don't require insulation
They wont accept that now (well in England anyway), Part L1 was tweaked a few years ago so that party walls are treated as external for thermal performance - even if there is a heated lounge on the other side of it, never mind a loft!

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks. I think the brick slips are the way to go. In terms of beams, I’m going to make some of these -

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back