Attic flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi long time since I've been here but need more advice so where else to come to?
I have been renovating my tired old French farm house for a few years now and am about to start some work in the Attic. I say attic but there used to be two rooms up there. One side has had a new floor put down over the living room. To do this they removed the lath and plaster ceiling and put down new or de-nailed and reused the oak joists and laid a t&g pine floor.. to be fair it looks OK considering its only pine no knot hole or anything like that :mrgreen: . Now I want to do the same over the bedroom side of the house only I don't want to take down the lathe and plaster ceiling, so I intend lifting the very old and badly worn floor boards and replacing them with new pine boards which I have bought and had sitting in the room for more than a year.. time to get a move eh! :mrgreen: I thought to avoid any damage to the lathe and plaster I would cut the boards along the line of the joist and then de-nail the last bit. sound ok? To fix the new boards to the oak joists I was looking for advise should I secret nail it with brads from a pneumatic nailer or buy a drill bit which counter sinks the hole at the same time and secret screw the boards down ? Also they do some sort of fibre material which fits on top of the joist before fitting the new boards is it worth buying some of that and using it? Really appreciate any help.
many thanks
J

Sponsored Links
Actic over a living room? Is it a bungalow or do you have the living room on the 1st floor?

Are you concerned enough to have rewired and re plumbed everything you need and want, just that a new floor really should be the last bit of the puzzle and some do things the wrong way round.

Now most lathe and plaster is old, my 1910 house has ceilings and I'd be very weary that over the course of the works some plaster will blow.

How old is the place?

Does it need insulation?

Had you though about simply adding a new floor over the old?

To do justice to a reply I think you need to post up more specific details and take out the ??? Raised

Actic over a living room? Is it a bungalow or do you have the living room on the 1st floor?

Are you concerned enough to have rewired and re plumbed everything you need and want, just that a new floor really should be the last bit of the puzzle and some do things the wrong way round.

Now most lathe and plaster is old, my 1910 house has ceilings and I'd be very weary that over the course of the works some plaster will blow.

How old is the place?

Does it need insulation?

Had you though about simply adding a new floor over the old?

To do justice to a reply I think you need to post up more specific details and take out the ??? Raised

Sorry to have ruffled your feathers. I don't need advice on insulation or electrics neither do I need advice on plumbing. if I did I would have asked. Its a 150 year old French farmhouse and they commonly have bedrooms in the roof space. When the previous owners had the roof replaced these were destroyed. I am returning them to their former glory. I have done the electrics and insulation and there is no plumbing hence my question about the final job the flooring. If I thought that the existing floor could possibly be left in place I would not have asked my question which was simpley would it be better to pilot and screw the new flooring or use secret nailing. Don't answer my question I have had some advice from a competent carpenter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back