attic light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive been asked to help change some lights in my nephews attic conversion as he got a shock when he changed the blown bulb when i took the light down i noticed it is wired with flex with no earth will it all have to be taken out or can you get a fitting that doesnt need to be earthed

Sponsored Links
its a screw fitting i have taken down but there is no earth in the cable coming from the ceiling

The type of fitting that you have is called a edison screw type. The live and neautal have been connected the wrong way round. Your friend got a shock because when he removed the bulb he must of touched the metal thread of the bulb which would of been live.

This is assuming that the fitting is sound.

It does not need a earth at the bulb.

Sponsored Links
can we change the light fitting for a different one without a earth connection in the flex

Can you post a picture of the inside of the ceiling rose?
Make sure you turn the power off before removing the cover.

How old is the conversion

there wasnt a ceiling rose just a light fitted to the ceiling when i took the light down it was just the 2 core flex coming out of the ceiling as for how long it has been done im not sure he has only had the house about 18 months and it was already done

can we change the light fitting for a different one without a earth connection in the flex
Yes, as long as the new one is double insulated - it will either say that, or "Class II", or will have a symbol of two concentric squares.

If it isn't any of those, or has an earth terminal, or says "must be earthed" then you must not use it.

Unless of course when you investigate you find that there is an earth all the way to the point where the flex is connected, and it was only that bit of flex that was 2-core.

thanks for all the advise cant believe how helpfull people are on this site

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back