Attic Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Upgrading lights in attic. Existing lights consist of 1 flourescent tube and 1 pendant, with the switched lives twisted together in L1. Should 1 of these go in L2, or does it not matter? Or does L2 do something different from L1? Lights at other ends of attic so thats why there are 2 switched lives. Negatives are in connector behind switch.

Also I was going to run a few more baynot style lights one after another from pendant to light parts of attic that existing does not cover. Is it ok if I put 5 or 6 baynots in, wired parallel (?) ? I may have a total cable run of 10 m or so. Is that ok? Will it overload when I switch on with say 7 11w energy savings in baynots and pendant, as well as flourescent all going on at same time from one switch?

Thanks in advance and thanks for previous replies which have helped immensly.

Sponsored Links
Leave both lights in L1. If one were in L2, here's what would happen:

In one position, your switch would power the fluorescent light.

In the other position, it would power the pendant.

You'd not be able to turn them both off. ;)

Dont put any baynots in. Or bayonets for that matter.

Two fluorescent lights will provide much more light than 6 bayonets.

Energy saving lights take time to get to full brightness anyway, especially when cold, no good on a loft.

Sponsored Links
Negatives are in connector behind switch.
Neutrals, not negatives.

Positive and negative aren't applicable with an AC supply - the voltage of the phase conductor relative to the neutral varies from +325V to -325V...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back