Avoiding boiler noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install a combi boiler directly on the wall the other side of the wall from the bed head. We have no other choice of position and this position is good for everything except potential noise. I am concerned that normal boiler noises like burners, pump etc will be disturbing. Does anyone have experience of putting the boiler within a sound insulated enclosure to keep the noise down? We have plenty of space to do this if it would help. We could batten and dry line with acoustic insulation but I wondered whether the boiler might vibrate more if it was only hanging on plasterboard rather than brick. It is a complete new installation going in.

Sponsored Links
You could do as combi boilers do not require ventilation, but must have a minimum clearance around casing (check manual) have enclosed boilers before and have had no problems, need access for servicing but thats it as far as i know

I have all the dimensions for clearances and installation/servicing. There is a ventilation requirement for this boiler which can be met. Did you achieve noise reduction by enclosing the boiler? Are combi boilers generally noisy as they are powerful?

What's the boiler. Some would wake you up from 2 rooms away.
And presumably it's a stud wall?

Sponsored Links
Halstead Ace High and it's a single brick wall. The boiler will effectively be in the second bedroom, either in the airing cupboard or boxed in as being discussed, but on the wall with the main bedroom bed the other side.

That's reasonably quiet boiler. Single brick should be OK. Forget the cupboard - no point when the boiler's noise will com ethoough the wall if anywhere. The flue fan will probably be the most noticeable noise, if its exhaust is near your window.

Thanks. Good to hear it's a relatively quiet boiler. When I was talking about boxing in, I meant dry lining the brick wall before mounting the boiler to make it even quieter through the wall but wasn't sure if this would work. What do you think? It will end up in a cupboard anyway to keep noise down in the second bedroom.
If we put it in the airing cupboard does the boiler give off any smell what so ever? I know the flue system is all sealed but had heard reports of combi boilers smelling which didn't make any sense to me.

Wouldn't bother dry lining. It hangs off a bracket at the top then the bottom just rests against the wall - the pump's near the bottom so I guess you could put someting soft down there but you can't do a lot about the fan noise.

They smell a bit of something vaguely hot and new - but not for long!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back