Avoiding precast gas flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to this so hope I’m posting in the right place. Our current house has a gas fire with a precast flue which comes out in the loft and then is piped through under a ridge tile. We have seen a fire we like to get the model suitable, we need a balance flue. Realise this will compromise the existing precast flue which we are willing to do. However, we are thinking of moving the fire along the wall a little to suit the layout of our room. Presumably if we did this then we don’t have to go through the precast flue set up. Can anyone give me some idea of how far we would have to move the BF to the side in order to miss the existing flue system. (hope this all makes sense. )

Sponsored Links
To miss the flue/opening entirely then just mark the outside edge of the builders opening on the wall and then cut beyond that. Depends on how much you need to move the fire by to suit the room.

You could use the existing opening, the fact that the flue is pre-cast doesn't matter, that would just get sealed off.

Then the back of the opening would be cored to accept the new balanced flue. Most BF fires have the flue exiting out of the back and then just goes straight back and out through the wall

th

Thanks Madrab. It’s not the end of the world if we have to go through the pre cast flue, just as we can move the fire thought it might be an easier job.

Creating a new builders opening in another part of the wall to reposition the new fire would be a whole lot more work then using the existing opening, I would have thought?

Sponsored Links
My similar flue is made of blocks the same size as the others in the wall, I think about 440mm wide, with the flue hole offset from the centre so the blocks can be staggered when laid

If yours are the same, I dont think any block could extend more than 440mm from the furthest side of the flue opening you can see. In my house the blocks are visible in the loft.

Drilling through the back of the fireplace like Madrab says sounds a handier solution.

I think mine are rather like this

1674943779603.png

Mine has no chimneybreast or builders opening, the wall is flat with just a letterbox hole, and I think if I got a new fire, I would want a fake one, for appearance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back