Avoiding scale

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a new scalemaster magnetic gold to fit to my main water supply to my home (my washing machine (cold fill) is rather black in the dispenser tray). Will the scalemaster do the job or is there something better I could use? I have one fitted already on my combi boiler. Someone told me that I will need one for every appliance that they are not really good enough for a main supply.

Sponsored Links
Its better to have one than not!

Black in the soap tray sounds more like mould than scale!

Tony

Its actually grey slimey stuff - could it be caused by lead pipes. I'm not sure if my pipes are lead or not - its a 1930's house I've recently moved into. The water leaves a grey mark on my cream sink when it dries - what would cause this and would the scalemaster cure this.

I don`t know the hardness of the water in Nottingham.but your water supplier will :idea: Soft water can dissolve lead , hard water doesn`t usually. Grey slimey could be powder residue.can you pull the tray out and clean it ?

Sponsored Links
The "clarke No" for the dishwasher is No 4 - I don't know if this is hard water or not. Is there a better alternative to the scalemaster magnetic gold? How does the scalemaster work? Does it remove anything else from the water other than scale?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back