B&Q PP300 strimmer - how to get the head off the drive s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry - don't really know the correct terminology...
Managed to get long grass/clover stalks/string wrapped around the drive shaft near the fan blades above the 'head' - still turning but slowly and very noisy (motor not happy)!
Took the guard, spool and spring off it didn't help...
Unscrewed the whole thing along the length and can get to the motor - gave me slightly better access - got some off but it is a pain to get to and can't get it all off...

Wondering if anyone knows how you get the plastic head off the drive shaft then I can clean it up properly...can't see any obvious screws etc
Top of drive shaft looks like it is covered with a plastic cap -could unscrew? but it might be moulded part of the head...also the head might be two bits of plastic that slot together - but it is too grubby to tell ...ahhhh

Otherwise I foresee an entertaining evening picking bits off with a pair of tweezers....yawn

Sponsored Links
Don't know about this one particularly but I think there are some serrated areas on the bump head that you squeeze with your pinkies?
John :)

Thanks for helping
I did get that bit off -(I have done that before to change the spool) but I couldn't get the rest of the head off the drive shaft...
I have managed to get it spinning freely again using tweezers (clover stems were the main problem...so at least I know to to avoid them next time) -but there were old bits of grass etc too...I can't get it completely clear but it seems to be working ok now...

This is the kind of thing that really annoys me - encouraging our throw away society - making stuff difficult to repair so that people have to buy a new one - any more than changing the spool and the instructions are to take it to a repair centre...
but they are so cheap it is not worth paying someone to repair it (it is 10 yrs old) I guess most people would have binned it and got a new one...
(just don't start me on Canon Printers with their 'waste ink tank full' throw it away and get a new one design...) :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back