Lifestyle thermostatic rad valves - how to get the head off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have finally moved house and having spent getting on for £1,000 putting our heating system in the old house in apple pie order for the new owners, we are upset to find all sorts of things wrong with the ch and plumbing in the new one, despite having paid a corgi reg. engineer to check this system out before we bought it; he said everything was fine.; wonder how much they paid him? One thing which I hope to be able to sort out myself is that the thermostatic valves don't work. Hopefully, it's just that the pins have got stuck through lack of movement, but I am not familiar with this make and don't know how to get the heads off. They are labelled "Lifestyle" but don't give the manufacturer, though some of them also have the letters "acl under "Lifestyle".

They are completely different from the Danfoss ones I'm used to and there are no screws to undo. Can't see any obvious way of getting them off. Can anyone help?

I note that the pipes at the top of some of the rads are rusty. Can one just treat with Kurust and paint over or have they had it?

The worst thing, which I obviously can't do myself (being a somewhat crippled old lady) is that there is a leak from a joint above the pump which has obviously been going on for a long time as there is a build up of limey deposit. And to think we replaced a similar joint in the same position which only leaked for a couple of days and had dried up; we thought while we had it drained down to replace the motorised valve, we might as well do this joint, but of course it added to the bill.

I am obviously too nice for this world. My husband (who has had 2 ops. for cancer in his spine and also has Parkinsons and severe osteoporosis), plus our gardener/handyman, plus our daughter practically killed ourselves leaving our house immaculate, and we get here and find it filthy (despite toffy nosed owners). We couldn't even put the perishable food in the fridge b efore we had washed out with bi-carb and left the door open for a long time to get rid of the smell made by the rotting fish inside. I won't go as it is off topic. Last straw is that my knee op scheduled for tomorrow has been cancelled and not even a new date in sight, so difficult to make any arrangements for plumbers, decorators etc. and impossible to go shopping as walking is agony. I'd get drunk if I could find the corkscrew! PLEASE HELP WITH THE TRVs. I can't turn off the rads (nothingso luxurious as a zone thermostat here) in some of the rooms and our musical instruments are going to b e ruined.

Sponsored Links
Underneath the white head there is a chrome knurled nut, undo this anticlockwise (you may need to use pump pliers/molegrips/footprints)

Bless you, gigz. I forgot to ask, however, what position the control should be in, ii.e. on the max. on or the max. off. Wd appreciate your advice on this before I have a go with the spanner or whatever. Thanks a million.

Max is hottest. Turn head clockwise to close the valve down (coolest)

Sponsored Links
Gigz -

Thanks again. Yes, I know max is hottest. I meant when one does the freeing up (optimist) should it be in the on or off position. I shall take it that it shd be off then.

Turn the valve to fully open (6 or Max or whatever) before you remove the head. This releases any pressure on the pin. Leave it on max to make replacement easier.

I don't seem to be having much success with these valves though I have in the past successfully freed up Danfoss valves. The pins don't seem to want to come up. I have had the boiler and pump switched off while I have been fiddling with them. Should I have had the system running?

The pins don't seem to want to come up. I have had the boiler and pump switched off while I have been fiddling with them. Should I have had the system running?
So you managed to get the head off!

It does not matter whether the system is on or off.

The pin goes down as the temperature expands the sensor in the thermostatic head. A spring in the body should move the pin up as the sensor contracts. With no head on, the spring should hold the pin fully up.

You say the pins will not come up; are you sure they are stuck down? Try pressing on the pin with something, but not too hard or you will damage it.

There are two ways of releasing a stuck pin: tapping the side of the valve with a hammer, or using a pair of pliers to pull the pin up - but be careful that you do not bend the pin.

By the way, ACL/Lifestyle is the same as Drayton, now part of Invensys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back