B&Q wall cabinet fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to fit a row of wall cabinets from the B&Q basic range
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...w=lister&ts=1177764094557&isSearch=false&fl=1 (1 x 600mm, 1 x 150mm, 2 x 400mm) and the fixings they come with look a bit Mickey Mouse to me!
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A326934&ts=45190&id=91611

I put cans, bottles and crockery in these cabinets so they're going to be very heavy. The old ex-council cabinets had solid backs (the new ones are hardboard) and were screwed at all 4 corners with brown Rawlplugs and 2 1/2" screws which seems fair ,and which I would trust. It's a solid supporting wall with ceramic tiles up to the bottom of the cabinets.

I have seen a recommendation in another post (which I can't find again) to use these
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=67987&id=17286
but they're pretty long and I don't know how deep my pipe-and-cable detector will work. The kitchen's almost done and if I drill into something at this stage... well,I'm just not even going to think about it :cry:

B & Q of course wash their hands at this point and tell you to supply your own, suitable wall fasteners (don't really blame them for that).

Anyone got any neat ways of supplementing this type of cabinet bracket :?:

Sponsored Links
They do a steel hanger at reasonable cost. Two 2" or 2 1/2" screws on each hanger should be ample. I would normally use 35mm but my walls are fine and made of dense concrete blocks. One hanger at each top corner is usual but I suppose you could put them at the botttom too, if you wanted. Another method is to fasten a timber batten for the bottoms to sit on, and adjust the top hangers until they meet it.

p2067733_l.jpg

Electrical cables are usually chased into the wall at plaster depth or slightly more. Electricians are too lazy ;) to grind a deep channel into bricks, which would also weaken the wall.

Another method is to fasten a timber batten for the bottoms to sit on, and adjust the top hangers until they meet it.

I think, for my peace of mind, that's the only option.

The wall's already tiled and drilled for the cabinets so I'll have to pull a row of tiles off. Not a big deal I suppose. Maybe I can get a bit of dado rail or architrave that would look all right when painted rather than a square batten.

btw I'm sure B & Qs people did their sums and these fixings will take the weight of 100 cans of beans etc. But, as someone pointed out in another post, at some point in their life these cabinets will probably be subject to loads from directions they weren't intended to be knocked or bashed or shoved from (by mountaineering kids, appliances being moved, people using worktops to stand on to paint or change bulbs). The leverage on those fixings could be very big.

thanks

Use three 2 1/2"x10 screws in the fixing plates and you will have 50% more fixings than your old cabinets so there will be no problem. Those cabinet hangers are rated at 200Kg per pair so thats a lot of tins of beans ;)

Jason

Sponsored Links
Well, they're up but I screwed the end cabinet to the wall and put two small brackets on the cabinet at the other end.

I suppose I'll probably come to trust it in time.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back