B&Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone else experienced this - went into my local B&Q warehouse and found myself a Makita palm finishing sander for £39.99, looking at the same product in Screwfix it was nigh on £60 with vat. I've often looked at the the prices of some of the B&Q Dewalts and Makita and been amazed at the prices. Is each store allowed to price individually or do they follow some corpoprate structure passed on from up high. Anyway very pleased with my new toy :D

Sponsored Links
dont b&q own screwfix?
perhaps they want some more footfall through their stores, cos just turning the freekin lights on in the morning in them superstores must cost a fortune. errrr well in winter.....

also, ive noticed some mickey taking prices on screwfix. the 19 squid soldering mat. yours for a tenner at bes.

:rolleyes:

wilhelm said:
dont b&q own screwfix?
perhaps they want some more footfall through their stores, cos just turning the freekin lights on in the morning in them superstores must cost a fortune. errrr well in winter.....

also, ive noticed some mickey taking prices on screwfix. the 19 squid soldering mat. yours for a tenner at bes.

:rolleyes:

B&Q Screwfix, both part of the Kingfisher group.

I think you need to have an idea of typical costs so you know if you're getting a bargain.

Like on Fleabay, where things are often sold (incl P&P) for more than the brand-new retail price.

Sponsored Links
Noticed in screwfix catalogue today a bathroom suite for £499.00 that is available through local merchants for £230.00 + vat. Now that's what I call a mark-up.

In next month's catalogue perhaps it will be a bargain "£99 off!"

I wouldn't trust any 'name' make from B & Q, knowing them they are probably a job lot of slight seconds. Even their 'name' showers are not exactly the same as you would buy in a plumbers merchants.

Aye, B&Q and Scewfix are indeed both part of the Kingfisher group but are separate companies and operate independently of each other, not only in terms of the roducts sold and the prices charged but also throughout the entire supply chain so the buyers for B&Q buy separately from those of Screwfix and negotiate prices accordingly.

Regards

Fred

Was once stood behind a guy at the check out of local B&Q warehouse. He had a SF catalogue on him and was getting a price match on his purchases. Don't know if they still do this but I'm not so sad as to carry a SF catalogue around with me all the time>

did you also know there is b & q, b & q warehouse, both the same company, but one is bigger than the other and the bigger one sells stuff cheaper than the little one, even if they are in the same town as they are here in luton

and the silly thing if you will is there is a screfix about 100yds away

oh and for any screwfix fans there is a new one at staples corner london

solo said:
I'm not so sad as to carry a SF catalogue around with me all the time>
Could be useful when you encounter a toilet that has no paper. ;)

not a lot of use if you are sitting down and the t roll is in your tool box / van

We just had a screw fix open here in harlow for anyone wishing to know?

are you screw fix guys like the eddie stobard spotters :LOL:

B&Q warehouse near me sells bags of sand 50p (30%) cheaper than my local 'trade only' merchant, and gravel £1.20 (50%) cheaper.

Some m12 expansive bolts are £3.54 for 5 at screwfix. Another large local merchant has these at 2 for £12.25 plus VAT! Unbelievable

I've started to get more and more general building stuff from B&Q and Wickes, and only tend to visit the merchants for their special offers. And any fittings and fixings I get from screwfix trade counters.

I'm a bit tired of having to always negotiate and barter at the merchants, for lower prices to match the national chains. Why thay can't just give a set price to compete with the other local stores I don't know.

Sponsored Links
Back