Baby belling trips my RCD unit when cooking sunday lunch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Bought a secondhand baby belling it is fully working but when I used it to cook a chicken the oven was on for a around 20 minutes when the RCD that I have plugged into it trips and switches off the appliance. I stripped it down fully and cannot find anything wrong with it all the connections are sound and stable. My baby belling is the older type with the exposed (spring) type heating elements not modern machines with the "ring" type elements but these look sounds. Is it the circuit breaker as we had to take one back to argos once where it kept tripping for no reason

any ideas greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
possiblly some dampness in there somewhere.

older cookers are notorious for tripping rcds

What else have you pluged into the circuit the Baby Belling is on? Did you switch something else on just before the Belling tripped or is there a fridge or freezer on that circuit?

I am using it on a single socket but I plug my RCD into it just in case for safety. Did have the washer and freezer going at the same time though, but they were in seperate sockets

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify, your Baby Belling has its own 13A plug?

If so, there's no real need to plug it into an RCD. Yes. an RCD is a good thing but it really comes into its own protecting you from electric shock when you're using appliances outside.

The cooker is earthed through the plug so it doesn't pose any risk to you.

Hi

I am an Electrician

The reason your RCD is tripping is due to the element on the cooker wearing out

I am an Electrician aswell.....

I concur with him above

hi

thanks for your help, does that mean that the element is going to blow soon?

yes the element will more than likely not last much longer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back