back boiler/ fire. can i build a surround??????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently renting a house which has a back boiler with a hideous gas fire attached, so i cant replace the system, but want to hide the fire!

Can i build a wooden surround to fit over the gas fire?

I understand that it will need some holes/open space for ventilation, but how much? Or is it too risky to do it at all?

A friend of a friend says it is too risky but i just want another opinion so i can come to a conclusion on what to do!!

All posts will be extremely helpful

Thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
This is a wind up right??

NO. You can't cover over the fire. As your landlord will know you need a gas safety cert cp12 and my guess is he won't get one if you do as you intend. How does the user get to the boiler controls? Do you know how much ventilation is required??

Dependant on boiler make and model you may get a fire replacement.

Box it in with something highly flammable, perhaps plastic or paper mache should do the trick.

Box it in with something highly flammable, perhaps plastic or paper mache should do the trick.

remember never to hoover behind said contraption just to make sure enough dust/fluff builds up to ignite it really quickly one day.......think of the fun of wondering if you will live or die today.

Sponsored Links
I had a customer who did exactly that... she bought a cupboard and cut the back out to fit round the fire, argued that when she used the fire, she opened the cupboard doors.... I only got to see it because the gas valve on her BBU died, sadly I neglected to take a photo but she did receive a stern talking to and the cupboard had a nasty accident so that it was in no fit state for her to replace it once I was gone...

Short answer to the OPs question is NO!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back