Back Boiler or Combi boiler

So why are the two biggest employers vaillant and worcester who the majority on here have said over the years are the 2 best boilers.
Please tell me how a properly installed and maintained boiler stops a pcb /fan/gas valve going wrong

Sponsored Links
So why are the two biggest employers vaillant and worcester who the majority on here have said over the years are the 2 best boilers.
Please tell me how a properly installed and maintained boiler stops a pcb /fan/gas valve going wrong

You hear it most times when carrying out a repair "never had as many problems with the old floor standing/back boilers".....................might be something to do with all the electronics/hydraulics fitted to boilers nowadays , boilers 20 odd years ago only used a gas valve , thermostat , thermocouple.................high water content CI heat exchangers............soooo simple & reliable. :cool:

Are some saying the replacement of electronic board , fan , diaphram , gas valve , water flow switch , APS , FSD , flue seals , thermistors , transformers etc etc are all due to faulty boiler installation?.....please...... ;)

Never had a problem with the old back boilers ...

Apart from having two in a row condemned as unsafe, both due to faults in the original installation (unprepared builders opening).

(One ID and one AR, to be pedantic)

And knowing someone who went to the Dr's and had CO poisoning from blocked room vent.

Sponsored Links
All I know is that none of the steamers I installed over the years had any problems bar one that had a minor fault.
Nor can I recall any CDI mentioned on here for instance that did not have obvious install/maintenance defects.
And even if they do have a pcb in 5 years, that is a damn site less than half of 5 years' worth of gas.

All I know is that none of the steamers I installed over the years had any problems bar one that had a minor fault.

Do you not repair boilers then? , if so what parts do you normally replace?

You hear it most times when carrying out a repair "never had as many problems with the old floor standing/back boilers".....................might be something to do with all the electronics/hydraulics fitted to boilers nowadays , boilers 20 odd years ago only used a gas valve , thermostat , thermocouple.................high water content CI heat exchangers............soooo simple & reliable. :cool:

Are some saying the replacement of electronic board , fan , diaphram , gas valve , water flow switch , APS , FSD , flue seals , thermistors , transformers etc etc are all due to faulty boiler installation?.....please...... ;)

i wonder if anyone has studied what the carbon emissions are on maintaining a modern condenser compared to an old boiler?

i wonder if anyone has studied what the carbon emissions are on maintaining a modern condenser compared to an old boiler?

Too true....................now they are thinking of scrapping vehicles over 4 years old. :rolleyes:

The Luddites are out again!

Back in the 1960s, you could by a car made by a still-leading manufacturer; it had a side valve engine with white metal bearings, vacuum wipers, and a three speed gearbox. They'd only just stopped making cars with 6 volt electrics and beam axles front and rear.

Who drives either of these every day now?

Well , i sure like my 1968 jaguar MK10 with it's 3 speed auto & white metal rod/main bearings , along with my 1968 dodge charger 10 litre V8. (605ci) :rolleyes:.....................

I don't think Jaguar ever used white metal bearings - steel backed shell bearings, yes; white metal cast into the rods and block, no.

However, there's no comparison between a Jag Mk X and a Ford Pop!

I don't think Jaguar ever used white metal bearings - steel backed shell bearings, yes; white metal cast into the rods and block, no.

However, there's no comparison between a Jag Mk X and a Ford Pop!

Yes they did , on that note i just sent a set of main bearings off (thrust) to have white metal added when i balloned the convertor & damaged the crank whilst racing the Dodge. ;)

The Luddites are out again!

Back in the 1960s, you could by a car made by a still-leading manufacturer; it had a side valve engine with white metal bearings, vacuum wipers, and a three speed gearbox. They'd only just stopped making cars with 6 volt electrics and beam axles front and rear.

Who drives either of these every day now?

but us slightly younger luddites will still think a car built in the early 90's perfectly acceptable and far less expensive to repair if not necessarily more reliable.

cars are a poor comparison, they have always had more major parts than a back boiler has to go wrong.

personally the back boiler and WAU are two types of boiler i could happily see extinct 'cos i can't be arsed to service them anymore.

So you have never changed a divertor on a CDi then which is common ,less common fans or the transformer on the board

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back