back boiler- probs!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a baxi back boiler. recently the water/central heating stopped working.

when turned on the boiler fires up and the pipes to and from the storage tank heat up.
but the pump is making a humming noise, and gets very hot, this is located by the motorised valve. about the same time you can hear boiler kettling!

Obviously i have stopped using it.
Also some water is trickling when on from where the pump is.

I think i need a new pump and its faulty or ceased.
any advice, and please ask for more info if needed.
Im hoping its the pump and nothing else, and that i can do it myself.

Thankyou you ALL!

Sponsored Links
Put a towel under the pump and remove the large plug at the end, a small amount of water will dribble out. Use a 3mm flat screwdriver to check that the pump shaft is free to rotate (not seized). Then put the power on and see if the pump shaft rotates before putting the plug back into the pump.
Check also that there is water in the (loft?) header tank.
Check that the motorised valve drives open when "heating only" is selected.

Otherwise re-post with further details of the valve(s) and controls

meldrew's_mate said:
Put a towel under the pump and remove the large plug at the end, a small amount of water will dribble out. Use a 3mm flat screwdriver to check that the pump shaft is free to rotate (not seized). Then put the power on and see if the pump shaft rotates before putting the plug back into the pump.
Check also that there is water in the (loft?) header tank.
Check that the motorised valve drives open when "heating only" is selected.

Otherwise re-post with further details of the valve(s) and controls

So before i remove the plug shall i isolate it using the two stop cocks on either end of the pump??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I cant find the plug guys, its a smc pump. i removed the back plastic cover to reveal two rusty screws.

Also to update the boiler kettles and then the thermostat cuts it out.

So i cant actually find a plug on the pump.

If its a SMC its probably an induction type pump, there isn't a shaft from the motor through to the impellar. I don't think you can check the pump unless you remove it, also it is probably very old so go with a replacement. If the valves are the type which has a screw slot in it to turn it off I would suggest getting a new pair of gate type as these slot one will probably leak once turned off or on.

Thanks Cozzmic, i think ill do that. the valve's are gate types so no probs there.

I'll enquire for a new one and update you guys.

ollski said:
GnzYza said:
Thanks Cozzmic, i think ill do that. the valve's are gate types so no probs there.

Don't count on it :D

Why they seem to be easy to isolate?

Another thing is where can i locate this part?
and any ideas of rough cost, its being mated with a baxi bermuda back boiler.
Thanks

They might be fine, but just beacause the spindle stops turning don't count on them actually being closed when you remove the pump....I always bung aswell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back