Back boiler removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am removing an old coal fireplace in my flat which has a back boiler behind it.

The back boiler isn't in use as we use an immersion heater, and there is a square of new plaster on the wall behind as if someone has gained access to bypass it or something.

What do I need to do about it? Ideally I would like to remove it but I don't even know what a back boiler looks like!

Thanks

Colin C

Sponsored Links
Employ the services of a registered Gas Installer. I am assuming it is still conected to the gas. If so you could be tampering with bomb making materials

Sponsored Links
I',m assuming by back boiler you are meaning an old copper circulator back boiler, it's about 8" square and a foot long fitted just below the baby brick at the back. Tap it and you will hear it.

Why do you want to remove it? or is it just the fireplace you want out?

The square of plaster in the room behind may be the remains of the fireplace in that room.

A back boiler is, in essence, a box, often of cast iron, that forms part of the fireback. A working one usually has two or more pipes connecting it to the heating / hot water system.

If you wish to re-use the fireplace, then it should be properly decommissioned or removed.

Old back boilers have exploded when a fireplace has been re-used.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/services/localgovernment/boilers.htm
http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2009/coisw61109.htm

According to HSE, the risks include high-pressure steam explosions if the boiler is left full of water, and escaping flue gases if it is left dry....

That was mine taken out on the bottom left of the pic.

It makes a bit of a mess!!

Only two pipe connections to remove though - but watch out for the possible water cascade!

Loungefireplaceout.jpg

Mart thanks for the photo, it explains a lot. The fireplace is similar too, horrible tiles. When we installed an electric fire to make it look nice we had to remove the fire-brick from the sides exposing metal right round to the front of the fireplace - I'm assuming that's the same as the one in your photo?

What metal are they normally made from? Any scrap value?

Colin C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back