Back boiler ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am purchasing a property to let out and think it may have a back boiler due to old mechanical programmer by chimney and no visible boiler on viewing

Question is, are these reliable and will it be ok for the rental or should I be fitting a new heat only boiler?

I appreciate any comments

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Back boilers are normally reliable, but inefficient. I would suggest that you employ the services of a competent RGI that knows these machines. One of the most critical criteria on these and any open flued appliance is ventilation.
That and an approved C O detector. Depends on the make and model, you might find that certain spares are getting harder to find. Perhaps a contract with British Gas might be in order? Either that, a decent local RGI that can service it and carry out a safety check on the property that you wish to rent out ( CP12 )

Hi all

I am purchasing a property to let out and think it may have a back boiler due to old mechanical programmer by chimney and no visible boiler on viewing

Question is, are these reliable and will it be ok for the rental or should I be fitting a new heat only boiler?

I appreciate any comments

Thanks

assuming you are intent on purchasing the property, then, regardless of boiler age or type, have it properly serviced. You are not likely to know the service history, and you will need a Landlords gas safety certificate anyway. Get the service done and the cert compiled at the same time. You are not REQUIRED to havc a CO detector, but they are to be advised. Just make sure your tenant doesn't trade it for a Party Seven. ;)

BBU are generally very reliable. BG pay contractors £20.02, including all expenses, (less if through an agency) to service a BBU. You are more likely to have a quality service done by someone being paid reasonably.

Might be fine for 20 years.
But tenants tend to block vents up because they're draughty.
And tenants often have visitors staying, sleeping on the couch.
And visitors from hot countries tend to leave boilers/fires on all night - even when they're sober.
Back boilers with no vents can soot up and become lethal very quickly indeed.
Make double sure there's a "Do not block" notice on the vent, and that you have a good working CO detector (you can buy a spray to test them).
Demand that whoever services the boiler always changes the thermocouple. It won't really need changing every year, but they DO fail unpredictably, and at least then you'll know the gas man has had the boiler apart.

Sponsored Links
Might be fine for 20 years.
But tenants tend to block vents up because they're draughty.
And tenants often have visitors staying, sleeping on the couch.
And visitors from hot countries tend to leave boilers/fires on all night - even when they're sober.
Back boilers with no vents can soot up and become lethal very quickly indeed.
Make double sure there's a "Do not block" notice on the vent, and that you have a good working CO detector (you can buy a spray to test them).
Demand that whoever services the boiler always changes the thermocouple. It won't really need changing every year, but they DO fail unpredictably, and at least then you'll know the gas man has had the boiler apart.

Thanks for that

I don't even think there was a vent in the room

FiremanT
are you saying you never done backboilers properly then when you done your little stint back at BG as a contractor ???
If not why not its not BG`s head on the plate its yours

As soon as I get the keys I'll get a service done before I start any other work. If it's no good, would be ideal time to change to a heat only boiler before kitchen is done

What should I roughly be paying for a service?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back