Back Box Size (but now about cable size)

C

cb9002

I'm buying stuff to run a 4mm2 radial... what depth back box do people suggest? 35mm?

I normally use 25mm ones for ring mains but I'm wondering if I might struggle to get two 4mm2 T+E and a 2.5mm2 T+E in the box behind a DP switch.

(No need to reopen the FCU/DP switch or is a DP switch rated to 32A arguments!)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
4mm radial.

2.5mm on the load side of the DP switches run to unswitched undercounter sockets for fridge etc.

Sponsored Links
errm, 16th I guess, I know nothing about the 17th except the new RCD requirements. What difference does it make? Circuit is RCD protected.

DP switches! The fusing will be in the plug behind the appliance.

Get those 2.5mm cables replaced with 4mm then, or downrate the protective device to something suitable for the 2.5mm cable (16/20A?)

Ahh, good point thanks, will use FCUs and flex outlet plates instead then.

Seems strange that I could spur from a ring with 2.5mm but not a radial, when both will be protected with a 32A MCB!

The reason I asked is because the 17th allows 2.5 on a 4mm²/32A radial providing it feeds only one outlet.

[Whispers, "Where's FR?" ;) ]

Get those 2.5mm cables replaced with 4mm then, or downrate the protective device to something suitable for the 2.5mm cable (16/20A?)

No need.
Overload protection will be provided by the BS1362 fuse in the plug top. Short circuit protection provided by the 32A MCB.

473-01-02

Securespark - thankyou!

Would I have to make any other changes to ensure 17th ed compliance then? The rest of the house is to the 16th, and the circuit is on the RCD side of a split-load board.

Of course I could just stop being a cheapskate and buy some more 4mm cable...

You have to decide which edition to install it to. You can do 16th OR 17th, but you must not "mix & match"...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back