Back Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi All
i need some advice please.

i bought a 3 bed house, which had already been extended at the back-just ground floor extended.
now am planning to build on top of the extension to get more space upstairs.

what do i need to look out for?
how do i know that the foundation for the ground floor extension can sustain the top, if we build on it?

do i need planning permission

how do i go about this whole process, as i have not done this before.

any advice is highly welcome.

please see picture

many thanks

Sponsored Links
You will need planning permission, do you have any information regarding the single storey extension. The architect, builder and planning office could possibly have info on what footings/foundation were laid.

+1, you would need planning permission.

Before building, your inspector will want a trial hole dug to see if the existing footings would be suitable for the increased loading.

Going back to the Planning aspect - it is possibe your council would not permit 1st floor extensions up to the boundary, so you may have to set it in.

You also seem to have a large extension on the left - that may mitigate against any further extensions?

many thanks both.

i have no information or documentation for the single story extension already there.
it was there when we bought the property 9 years ago. i asked for some paper work from the owner at the time but i was told its not necessary as the extension had been there for over 20 years at the time we were buying. i wasn't too worried as similar extensions had been done by some of the neighbors too.

the building on the left is not an extension. its my next door neighbor but his property is not extended. his property is just a bit further down and has a bigger drive at the front. my property is closer to the main road in front with smaller front drive and a longer garden compared with my neighbor.

it sounds like i should start with an architect and surveyor? or which one first?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Get yourself 4/5 buckets or start a pile, a shovel, a trowel, and a core drill.

Dig a smallish hole and keep going til you hit the concrete strip. Core it through if required to find full depth of extension footing.

Took a couple of hours for me and got depth of 3ft, now on drawings can discuss with council, architectural technician etc...

Get yourself 4/5 buckets or start a pile, a shovel, a trowel, and a core drill.

Dig a smallish hole and keep going til you hit the concrete strip. Core it through if required to find full depth of extension footing.

Took a couple of hours for me and got depth of 3ft, now on drawings can discuss with council, architectural technician etc...
Why would you drill through the footing when you could just dig down the side to find out? :confused:

the building on the left is not an extension. its my next door neighbor but his property is not extended. his property is just a bit further down and has a bigger drive at the front. my property is closer to the main road in front with smaller front drive and a longer garden compared with my neighbor.

it sounds like i should start with an architect and surveyor? or which one first?
Unless I'm missing something, there's a window on your neighbours house at first floor level which you'll be depriving of light etc. Talk to some one-man-band architectural technicians, no need for architects. But yes the existing foundations are the start.

just dig down the side to find out? :confused:
I couldn't find it where is was expected, and as I've found later by digging the foundations for the extension, the edge is actually 12" away. It was easier to get the drill out.

Either they went for a 3' strip footing, or my inner leaf is standing on the edge of the concrete. I suspect the latter.

Don't bother start digging until you've spoken to planning.

True they tend to phob you off and get you to undertake the pre planning consultancy, however, to speak to them is free and it will if you are nice to them, it might give you an idea of any agenda/ feelings they have towards the extension, especially towards the neighbours window.

It doesn't matter how nice you are to them, the duty planning officer who's drawn the short straw that day will not consider anything they say to you as binding and will merely say that the proposals should comply with the Local Plan guidance. Complete waste of time.

thanks All.

there is actually an alley way between my property and the neighbors. its underneath and leads to the garden.property is semi-linked ie linked at the top with alleyway beneath. so if the externtion goes ahead, it will not be attached to neighbors property, although potendially block some light.

i have spoken to the neighbor and he is ok with it. if the extension goes ahead, there will still be about 4-5 feet between the extension and the neighbors window.

anyway many thanks to all for the advice.

very much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back