Backerboard tape question

Are you fitting panels to the walls rather than tiles?
Panels usually use corner trims that the panels slot into. Walls will need to be pretty square.

I used these trims for the panel to tray joint
Neat finish and a good seal.
Lots of options to ensure a good seal

Sponsored Links
Panels usually use corner trims that the panels slot into. Walls will need to be pretty square.

Do you have a link please?

Install the tray on self adhesive legs?? ... i.e. a riser kit?

Really hate to say it but if possible, please don't, riser kits are terrible things and they are not reliable longer term. Lost count of how many showers I've had to repair after a riser kit has allowed movement in the tray and the wall to shower waterproof seal has eventually gone. They do not support shower trays properly. You should really build a plinth so the tray will sit flat and steady.

What is the tray made of?
Hiya, yes a riser kit, not sure what material the tray is as I bought it ages ago now, it’s heavy and rough on the bottom, a bit like fibre glass.
The legs are self adhesive on one edge and screw to the floor on the other, not sure which order you do the install though.

I have some ply left if I need to build a plinth but would need more guidance

Do you have a link please?
Sorry forgot to add it :)

Wall to tray

Corner joints

I am DIY
One of the pros might have other, better suggestions

Sponsored Links

Yep, panels pal

it’s heavy and rough on the bottom, a bit like fibre glass
Most likely stone resin, but honestly, supporting a stone resin tray up on plastic legs isn't a great idea. Forgot to ask, how large is the tray?

With a riser kit the only way it is held steady is the wall to tray points with the silicone and over time that can easily be compromised. When in use the tray wants to move, especially when supported on plastic legs and the seal will go eventually. Seen it many times.

To have a good, steady tray ideally use 3"x2" CLS, or however thick that's needed to get the tray a suitable height above the waste run and provide a suitable fall for proper tray drainage. That's used to create a frame that's screwed to the floor/wall and then min of a 15mm WBP ply or OSB3 top goes on (cut to accept the shower trap and pipe connections). You could then use silicone and some of your tape and seal the edges where the plinth meets the walls. Then the tray gets stuck to the plinth underneath, around the bottom edges and and along all the wall contact points, push the tray in/on and smooth off the silicone that's squeezed out, top up any sealant especially at the corners and leave 24hrs to set. Once that's all set, your tray will be well seated and sealed.

You can then fit your wall panels with or without the added seal and then silicone again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back