Backup generator

Thanks Sunray and yes, I was thinking of a 2P RCD + 63A fuse. I haven't yet found a 2P 63A RCBO.

Below is a wiring diagram of what I envisage based on the discussions so far. Couple of NBs:

(1) The earth connection from the genny to MET will be via the 32A connecting lead so not permanent.
(2) I haven't yet found a 2P 63A RCBO but no problem with a 63A RCD. So may revert to the RCD + 63A fuse alternative.

I have two further questions:

A) I presume the RCD/RCBO should be type AC?
B) It seems logical to place the RCD and fuse with the RCD closest to the genny.

Any further comments?

Ref. A) above, this is a 63A RCD that (from description) can also be used as an isolator but doesn't indicate what type it is - A/AC/F etc.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WYWRS63slash2.html

View attachment 262885
upload_2022-3-3_16-21-44.png

I don't recall if there's an existing RCD feeding the garage SWA, if not (assuming there is a RCD in the garage CU) use a 63A 2 pole MCB.
63A RCBO's are available, I did a google and they are easily found, some are expensive!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back