Badly designed window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I opted for a cheap double glazing on my property at a very convenient price, I also took the cheapest window frames I can get my hands on and now I'm regretting my choice.

they're very basically designed, the open either vertically or horizontally with the saftey on for about 6 inches... (hardly enough to let the summer breeze in).

the other option is that they open freely all the way without being fixed.. This means if I were to open it all the way vertically it would be dangerous as the door would swing in and out a lot and cause damage to itself and anyone that gets in the way.

When opened vertically.. the window frame opens pretty much like a door.

I was looking for some devices that acts as a arm which attaches to the window frame and the window which secures it to a certain legth.... which will allow the window to remain open wider without having it loosly swining about...

I'm tried numerous google searches and nothing useful has come up.. Can anyone suggest me a device or an idea to get this to work.

Thank you

Karim

Sponsored Links
Hi I opted for a cheap double glazing on my property at a very convenient price, I also took the cheapest window frames I can get my hands on and now I'm regretting my choice.
unlucky
I was looking for some devices that acts as a arm which attaches to the window frame and the window which secures it to a certain legth.... which will allow the window to remain open wider without having it loosly swining about...

Standard window stays: http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...OSFFQ?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=window+stay

hi dextrous,

thanks for the tip

However I forgot to mention that the window opens inwards so these conventional window stays won't do the job. Not to mention that they're no place to screw them in as they're PVC coated on a metal chassis.

I was thinking more along the lines of a non-permanent soluton like perhaps a device with 2 g-grips on either end which clamp onto the window frame and window and held in place by an adjustable stick of some sort.

Does such a thing exist??

I know this is an ususal problem, but I'm desperate for a solution, especially for the kitchen which is paticularly bad..

If you just want it to be functional, you could get a couple of small gclamps and tie them onto either side of a stick! If anything else comes to mind I'll get back to you.

Sponsored Links
is the window side hung? :?:
if you read the posts you will find that they are inward opening tilt and turn.

OP - you might be able to use a traditional window stay and attach they stay pins to the window board (the inside window sill). you can fix into the metal reinforcing in the uPVC with self drilling screws.

it may look a bit odd though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back