Badly laid concret driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I recently had a concrete driveway laid, the concrete truck arrived very late and for a reason unknown to me the contractors decided to accept delivery and started to lay the driveway and rear garden slab and path.

Long storey short, they were unable to manage the work and before long it became dark leaving them to work well into the night. 4 days later i went to check the work over to find that the finish is unacceptable but mostly level.

As it is the front of the house i am in dispute with them regarding the finish and possible solutions. I don’t think there is a solution but they have suggested overlaying with screed.

My concern is that with vehicle use the screed with crack in the future resulting in a worse appearance\finish.

My main questions are
  • Other then screed what are the best economical solutions?
  • Will screed hold?
  • Will the screed bind to the new concrete(long term)?
  • What thickness of screed should be laid?
  • What the best way to achieve a firm binding?
Any other advice would be much appreciated

++++++++++
Moderator's note
Please do not duplicate your threads
see //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/forum-rules-general-info.19448/
++++++++++

Sponsored Links
If the contractors are stupid enough to work in darkness, then that gives you some idea of their competence in suggesting a solution. Screed wont stick.

Sponsored Links
It can be done over concrete, but it needs to be well bonded and not too thin. Many jobs come off in less than a year.

You can happily lay asphalt over concrete but normal bitmac is a bad idea, bitmac is permeable and concrete is not so water causes problems. Asphalt however is much less porous so doesnt have the same issues.

Resin bonded gravel would work too but be pretty spendy.

Bond the screed on with SBR, the screeder must know what he is doing. Not your present builder?
Frank

The 25mm or so of tarmac over the concrete drive at my place has lasted over 40 years. It's worn away where the front wheels of the car normally go, but otherwise it's stuck OK. It's on my todo list, but it will keep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back