badly sludged up CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

A question on behalf of a pal.

He has noticed that two rads upstairs weren't working. Got a plumber in who said there a big problems with sludge and blockages - he reckons that hot water is getting vented back into the expansion tank.

From what I can gather, the set-up is old with 1970's rads and a potterton wall hung (presumably balanced flu) boiler to match. The plumbers answer is to replace the boiler and all of the rads, with a powerflush for the pipework. All in all, about 5K's worth of work.

Appreciate it's pretty scant in detail but just wondered if this seemed about the right course of action. Also, given the usual 'health warning' that comes with a powerflush about leaks, would it be best to go for a full 're-pipe'

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Brittas

Sponsored Links
There are many fitters out there that are not interested in doing repairs and use the visit as an excuse to sell you a new system so he can put a couple of grand in his pocket rather than a couple of hundred. Get further opinions.

Sponsored Links
Soo... The rads are from the 70's?

I'd wanna replace them, if it were me,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back