Do i need a new heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been having a few problems with my heating recently (banging pipes, rads not being hot enough etc) and at the weekend my combi boiler stopped working (no pressure).

I've had it looked at by a corgi registered plumber & he's got it working again. The filter was completely sludged up & he says that the system is clogged up, the water circulation is very poor & this is the root of the problem.

My radiators & pipe work are old & he recommends i that i get them completely replaced to cure the problem. As this will be very costly i was wondering if this is the route i should take, or would a powerflush do the trick?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
He may not have actually used the word "filter". I'm just going from my foggy memory - it was first thing this morning & i've done a 10 hour shift since.

OK, lets forget the filter.

You have a combi already, so your pipework and rads are under pressure and are holding up.

The fact that you have a combi means that you have a sealed system. Since this is not open to the atmosphere its access to oxygen, the catalyst for corrosion, is limited to the number of times you have to top up the pressure. Therefore, it is extremely doubtful that you have a significant sludge problem, imho.

It is perfectly correct to say that the banging pipes are caused by poor circulation, but personally I would be looking at your pump first.

I would be rather dubious about a recommendation to replace the whole system. If it's a knackered old boiler and you feel like a change, then replace that, get it cleansed and protected and see how it goes.

Sponsored Links
You can remove rads and flush them out with a hose pipe , and then use a sludge remover and leave it in for a few weeks. But you could also fit a magna clean to remover all the magnetite and keep the system clean.

Thanks for all your help. The boiler hopefully shouldn't need replacing as it was only installed 3 years ago. There are, however problems with it - leaking, aav failure, prv failure & vessel failure.

Whats the make and model of the combi boiler? Should get at least five to ten years out of a decent combi without major problems. Get a cheap boiler and you end up paying out long term for more repairs and expensive parts. Cheap boiler expensive parts! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back