baffled by leaking shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Upstair shower leaks into the kitchen below.

tried tracing the leak, checked all the usual things, but essentially, if I take the shower fitting off the wall and connect a pipe to the brass fitting and run water under mains pressure from the mixer tap into the shower cubicle, it doesnt leak

if I put the shower fitting back on the wall and turn the tap on with water coming out the shower head, it leaks underneath the shower tray.

the tray water outlet is dry and doesnt leak, I have used a seesnake camera to check the mixer valve, that doesnt leak.

any ideas why it should leak with the shower fitted, and not leak without the shower fitted,

baffled or what

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the sealant around the tray for leaks? I'm assuming that when you have the pipe connected, you direct the water straight into the waste, whereas when the shower head is connected, water will spray outwards and run down the tiles.

Sponsored Links
check the tile grout and tray seal for leaks

You beat me to it :)

thanks guys, 3 suggestions to check the tray grouting.

It looks good, but Im going to go round it in the morning with the sealant gun and make sure.

thanks for the clear head thinking, Im beginning to panic, because the next step is to take the bedroom apart to get at the back of the shower fixing

If the sealant has black marks on it, there's a good chance it is failing. Suggest you check around it with a thin blade or screwdriver to see if you can lift the sealant away from the tray or wall. If the sealant has gone, you will need to remove the old sealant before applying the new.

If the sealant has black marks on it, there's a good chance it is failing. Suggest you check around it with a thin blade or screwdriver to see if you can lift the sealant away from the tray or wall. If the sealant has gone, you will need to remove the old sealant before applying the new.

It isnt a silicone sealant, its a Mapei powder mix sealant, its the flexible one, but it is crumbling and there is a tiny crack running along the base. I cant believe that is all it is, but Im going to make sure its sealed and run it again.

thanks for the thoughts, very grateful

It isnt a silicone sealant, its a Mapei powder mix sealant, its the flexible one, but it is crumbling and there is a tiny crack running along the base. I cant believe that is all it is, but Im going to make sure its sealed and run it again.

thanks for the thoughts, very grateful

Ah, that's why it's leaking. Some tillers think they should fill the gap with grout but it almost always fails. Remove all the grout from the gap, then re-seal with a good sanitary sealant (Dow Corning - screwfix).

Having said that, I must admit I am thinking more along the lines of a bath. As it is a shower base, you will probably get away with sealing over the top of the grout.

Having said that, I must admit I am thinking more along the lines of a bath. As it is a shower base, you will probably get away with sealing over the top of the grout.

lol, thanks for that. I was wondering how the hell I was going to get the old grout out.

Normally with a small screwdriver and a gentle tap with a hammer :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back