Bag of cement with lumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got builders to do some work around the house. I noticed a couple of bags of cement have been lying on the ground for a few days, so after work I removed them and noticed a few hard lumps on one side of the bags. The bags are unopened, waterproof and their use by date is at the end of December.

Should those bags still be fit for their purpose, or shouldn't they be used at all?

It's not the first time I've seen that and I know that some builders merchants store their bags outdoors even when there's frost.

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
If they've been stored at the bottom of a pallet, for instance, they would have carried considerable weight, and this can make the stuff apparently go hard.

But as above, a few hard bashes will soon break the lumps up, and the mortar will be OK.

I've recently used some which was in a sealed bag over 12 months past the date, and it was perfectly OK. The plastic bags are a big improvement on the old paper bags.

Sponsored Links
I had this problem not long ago with some blue circle cement, almost the entire bag was rock hard and there was no way I'd get it back to powder - I returned the bag and got a refund. The bag was within the use by as well which seemed even more odd - every time I buy bags now I press my thumb into them to make sure there's softness

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back