Balancing Radiators - Heatshield valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When balancing radiators.
Do you turn all radiator heatshields off before starting to balance or shut one at a time to adjust flow as required

Sponsored Links
Ok,
Balanced the radiators with a digital infrared thermometer achieving approx 10c drop across all the rads bar one.

The whole system is under the bedroom floors with the Gundfus Alpha Pump in the airing cupboard, the wall mounted Worcester boiler in the kitchen. All rads bled with no air found.

All the ground rads are fed from the under the bedroom floors like wise for bedroom rads.

The pump was set on ‘III’ with all rads hot from one end to other but may not be of equal temperatures (some hot, some warm). Since reading savings to be found by reducing flow rate and now pump running at ‘II’. But one double rad on ground floor gets fairly hot, but outflow pipe hardly gets warm even with lockshield valve opened 2 turns.
If pump is switched back to ‘III’, can achieve the 10c drop with half turn on the lockshield.

Does this mean I have to leave the pump on ‘III’

Sponsored Links
double rad on ground floor gets fairly hot, but outflow pipe hardly gets warm
Have you tried opening the outflow (Retrun) slightly more to see what happens? You say it is fairly hot so open the Return valve more.
Does this mean I have to leave the pump on ‘III’
If it is balanced this way and you are happy with the heating, it will consume more electricity at speed 'III'. Do you hear any water noises pushing through the radiator at that speed?

Have you recorded usage of gas at both pump speeds? I am asking because my gas usage goes up at lower pump speed.

Most of the rad flows are controlled from the ingoing lockshield with the outgoing fully open.

But some bedroom rads are controlled from outgoing because of thermo valves fitted by BG some 10yrs ago at the ingoing, but all but one of four are set at 2 or lower just to take chill off in mornings.
Yes if pump is set ‘III’ the system can be noisy with water circulating.

Although I have smart meters of the first gen, dont have a IHD. Waiting to be upgraded to latest gen.

Ok,
pump is back on 'III' setting otherwise, taking so long for rads to heat to Roomstat setting.

Noticed if correct or not once the ar temp has reached the roomstat setting and heating turned off, whether in manual or timed heating controlled the pump continuously pumping after the roomstat has turned heating off.

Is this correct, meaning the pump is running from timed on/off or manual overide on/off at clock

The thermostat is a Honeywell DT90E Digital Room Thermostat with ECO energy saving feature

It was fitted some years ago. The house is of year1984 so wiring is Red/Black and knowing which is live/neg, also has a Drayton Tempus Seven for HW and CH daily time settings to Worcester boiler of 10 yrs old.

Tomorrow going to remove the cover to check wiring connections if correct.

Have read the thermostat should be controlling the pump On/Off, where its not.

Any advice of how the thermostat should be connected to control the pump.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back