Ball valve under water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help my hot water expansion tank is constantly overflowing,I have checked the ball valve and its fine. It looks as though the system is overfilling and then draining back into the tank.

It has been suggested by a friend that the pump is overpumping what is this. I have checked the pump and it is on setting number 3. I have tried turing it to no 2 setting however then the boiler trips out I guess because its getting to hot as the water is not circulating as it should.

I feel somewhat stuck if I leave the pump on max the overflow runs if I turn it back the boiler locks out,must be a way out of this?

Anyone any ideas

Sponsored Links
I take it you mean the heating feed tank rather than the cold water storage that feeds the hot water tank?

On 1st glance at this problem im thinking blockage.

How high does the tank water level sit when cold? Does the level raise when the heating is on?

Tell the people in the house not to turn on any taps or flush any toilets while you carry out the following test:

Turn off the water main supply to the house.

Go up into the loft with a torch and a piece of chalk and a bucket and a jug

Mark the water level in the big tank that suppplies the bath taps; and the small tank that supplies the boiler.

Bale a bucket of water out of the small tank with the jug. Mark the level again.

Watch to see if the water level in the small tank rises, and in the large tank falls.

Tell us what you see.

if it was a pin holed coil it still wouldnt justify the boiler cutting out, would it?, id go for partial blockage

Sponsored Links
as he said a pos a blockage.
also check to see if your boiler stat is working fully if you turn the pump down and boiler stat faulty it maybe overheating.

expansion tank is constantly overflowing,

if constant, sounds like the coil.

this would have pushed out any inhibitor, so sludge would result

(this would also lead to the water in the F&E being hot - please feel it when you are up there.)

to the op, is it constantly overflowing when heatings off.if it does have a partial blockage then hot heating water will proberbly pump over into the f & e

petit_pablo said:
On 1st glance at this problem im thinking blockage.
Really? On first glance I'm wondering where all this extra water is coming from.

JohnD said:
if constant, sounds like the coil.

this would have pushed out any inhibitor, so sludge would result
Hm. Only if the coil had been leaking for a long time - sludge isn't very quick to form.

You need to tell us which tank is doing what, small one and big one.
Your description is about as clear as gordon brown’s answers regarding northern rock
Apart from that, open vent so the diagnosis: full of shyte is pretty safe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back