Ballast re-wiring help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've purchased a replacement ballast for a set of two 13 W fluorescent bulbs. However, the wiring diagrams are different and I can't quite work out which wire goes where! Also my new ballast requires one less wire that the old one :confused:

Here's some pics of each ballast (Robus is the old one, Osram the new) - Any help wil be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Remove the cable which is currently in terminal 4 and ensure that the cable is just going between the lampholders then connect up as per the diagrams

1+2 old ballast go to 21 + 22 new ballast

3 old ballast to 23 new ballast

4 old ballast as above remove cable from lampholder

5 old ballast goes to 24 new ballast

6 + 7 old ballast go to 25 + 26 new ballast

Nick

Remove the cable which is currently in terminal 4 and ensure that the cable is just going between the lampholders then connect up as per the diagrams

1+2 old ballast go to 21 + 22 new ballast

3 old ballast to 23 new ballast

4 old ballast as above remove cable from lampholder

5 old ballast goes to 24 new ballast

6 + 7 old ballast go to 25 + 26 new ballast

Nick

Cheers! Makes sense.

Have stumbled across a potential problem whilst removing the cable from 4. How do I connect this to the other bulb?! The bulbs seemed fixed and can't get to any fittings. See pic!

Can I just discard the cable I.e. pull it out of the other bulb holder? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
The cables normally on these lampholder are push fit. You may need to remove the screws holding the lampholder to the bracket. A twist and a wiggle should get it out. Worse comes to the worse put it into a connector block on its own in the back of the fitting.

Nick

Them terminals you sometimes need to realease with a pointed object

If it wont come out
Rather than risk damaging the holder, dont take the wire out, cut it shorter and push it into the other lampholder terminal, so its in parralel with the other blue existing wire link ,the terminals are made with two holes to accept two wires and you will see the unused hole.

Make sure you dont push it in with the wires from 1 2 3 or 5 6 7 though, these need to be alone in the lampholder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back