Ballcock vibration in toilet cistern

R

richard7761

Hi. The bottom entry, ballcock arrangement is stamped "Microvalve". It has started vibrating, but I have a fix. The water coming out of the valve and filling the cistern passes through a flimsy plastic tube. I've managed to stop the vibration by pinching this tube with a clothes peg. No idea why it has worked.

Also, there is a kind of knob (red coloured) associated it seems with that plastic outflow tube. It must have a purpose, but I cannot figure it. Just seems to dangle there. What is it for? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Also, there is a kind of knob (red coloured) associated with that plastic outflow tube. It must have a purpose, . Just seems to dangle there. What is it for? Thanks.
No idea - I`m more familiar with a purple one :mrgreen:

Hmm, talking of knobs... ;)

Anyway, moving on.

Microvalve is, I think, Armitage Shanks.
Get rid and fit a Fluidmaster 400UK073, PRO400 or PRO45B.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, talking of knobs... ;)

Anyway, moving on.

Microvalve is, I think, Armitage Shanks.
Get rid and fit a Fluidmaster 400UK073, PRO400 or PRO45B.

Thanks for the recommendation. Yes, I'll probably end up buying a better quality item that can cope with low or high pressures.

It gets better - that red knob is a spare orifice :eek: for the ballvalve in the picture . If it`s red it`s low pressure - if it`s white it`s high pressure . You sound like you need a 2/- diaphragm washer for your float/ball valve - ah well , back to the pickled onions and a nice bath.

Exactly the same thing happened to me last week with the same sort of valve and the cure was a new 29p 'rubber washer'. The old one had stiffened up and was causing the vibration.

Exactly the same thing happened to me last week with the same sort of valve and the cure was a new 29p 'rubber washer'. The old one had stiffened up and was causing the vibration.

Hi. Where did you obtain your "rubber washer" from? I cannot seem to locate the required part searching on the internet.

It gets better - that red knob is a spare orifice :eek: for the ballvalve in the picture . If it`s red it`s low pressure - if it`s white it`s high pressure . You sound like you need a 2/- diaphragm washer for your float/ball valve - ah well , back to the pickled onions and a nice bath.

2/- as in "two bob"? That be 10p then. :)

Hi. Where did you obtain your "rubber washer" from? I cannot seem to locate the required part searching on the internet.

I assume that you have undone the plastic nut so you will then have a 30mm approx formed rubber washer that seats down on the nozzle when then arm lifts. Search for "ballvalve diaphragm" on google and there are few pictures of them. I got mine from a local hardware store.

In the piccies you have linked to, end of the white plastic screw sticking out horizontally below the valve body should be snugged up against the side of the cistern, and the locknut tightened.

The screw braces the top of the valve assembly to stop the standpipe flexing and the valve chattering as the float rises.

this has reminded me i need to fix the ensuite cistern as it does this, has only been doing it for a few months so no rush :oops: dont know if im allowed any more DIY, future son in law is a joiner and has been working today to finish bathroom off, lovely job he has done, shower screen on new plactic ceiling fitted and door turned and nice new chrome handles, just need to paint door and fit wee front panel on shower tray, scared to cut it now haha, once its done i will post a couple of pice

In the piccies you have linked to, end of the white plastic screw sticking out horizontally below the valve body should be snugged up against the side of the cistern, and the locknut tightened.

The screw braces the top of the valve assembly to stop the standpipe flexing and the valve chattering as the float rises.

Just checked, and that screw does press against the cistern. So, that is okay.

2/- as in "two bob"? That be 10p then. :)
Damned inflation ;) . It`s a washer for a Part 2 float ( ball) valve - that should help you locate it easier ( or is it part 3 being a plastic one :confused: ) anyway the washer is the same .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back