Ban left-hand-drive trucks?

A while ago, one of the (TopGear?) jounos demonstrated how difficult it was for LHD wagons to see vehicles to their right, and stated the significant number of accidents caused by this/them

Since then, whenever I see continental plates on a wagon, I make sure I pass it really quickly and with room to maneuver if need be

Many drivers just aren't aware of the problem, and it should be more widely publicised

Sponsored Links
If it is found that the cause of the accident was due to the vehicle being a lhd then a proper investigation should be carried out as to possible solutions to the problem.

this has been an on going problem for years in the haulage industry the lgv's suffer from severe blind spots along certain places of the vehicle lhd and rhd.
most of the larger companys now fit cameras on the offside to cover the blindspots.

Maybe we should come in line with everyone else and start driving on the otherside of the road.

Maybe we should come in line with everyone else and start driving on the otherside of the road.

that would cost a lot of money....and mean even more accidents in the short term.

if any of you have ever been in a lorry you will know what the problem is. the mirrors are set up for driving on a different side of the road, you have to look at almost 90 degrees to your direction of travel due to the width of the cab and if you are tired you are going to make mistakes.

he made a mistake and its a terrible shame that these people died because of it, leave it to be investigated and acted on accordingly.

Sponsored Links
[/quote]

if any of you have ever been in a lorry you will know what the problem is. the mirrors are set up for driving on a different side of the road [/quote]

no they are not.

they are set the same as any rhd vehicle and they all have the same blind spots down the side of the vehicle
one being at the front corner of the unit, one at the rear axle of unit, the kerb side mirror will only show approx 6ft from nearside wheel.
the only difference is a driver will have a better view of traffic in a rhd unit
than a driver in a lhd unit who can only rely on his mirrors witch is reduced even more in bad weather

So what we do is legislate that continental LHD cars and trucks are no longer to enter Britain. What do the supporters of this scheme think will happen to our truckers when they wish to drive on the continent.

I am saddened by loss of life nevertheless.

[/quote]

if any of you have ever been in a lorry you will know what the problem is. the mirrors are set up for driving on a different side of the road [/quote]

no they are not.

they are set the same as any rhd vehicle and they all have the same blind spots down the side of the vehicle
one being at the front corner of the unit, one at the rear axle of unit, the kerb side mirror will only show approx 6ft from nearside wheel.
the only difference is a driver will have a better view of traffic in a rhd unit
than a driver in a lhd unit who can only rely on his mirrors witch is reduced even more in bad weather

"I saw an LHD truck being driven badly before, therefore I know that this accident was caused because the driver was foreign"

yeah, right :rolleyes:

Hey-up now. Here comes Johnboy with his middle-england Politically correct clap-trap. Save it for Joe90 and Bob Dole Johnboy because I really aren't that interested.

As for the list of accidents (which you have obviously spent a lot of time trawling the internet for which is very sad in itself) I could add to it if I was just as sad and give you a bigger list as long as your arm but I have a day job to go to and obviously dont have as much spare time as you.

Okay so I said the word "foreign" but wrongly or rightly I find that LH lorry drivers are being worse than the RH drivers. That is the voice of experience. I use the motorways a lot and my on the job experience has made me a very wary driver when pulling up side-to-side with one of these guys. I usually find that you can bet your bottom dollar that a wagon is in fact from some foreign land when it is LHD, has foreign plates and/or has continental writing scrwaled across the side of it.

Why is it you have to have use these topics to seek attention for your politically correct "put the world to right" know it all nonsense?

I have read a lot of your posts on here Johnboy and although you are obviously a man of some intelligence, believe me sunshine you actually aren't right all of the time.

You should try travelling outside of hampshire once in a while, its a great big world out there and if you speak to people you might just learn something. Idiot!

Back on topic, I remember watching one of those TONIGHT documentaries earlier in the year where the reporters discovered that many foreign driver were made to work 24-48 hours at a time by their "foreign" employers and paid pitance for doing so .

Is it a wonder that so many drivers from some countries drive so badly on our roads. In fact, if I remember correctly some of the drivers were actually glad to be pulled over by the police becuase it gave them a valid excuse to get some sleep. These guys were absolutley shattered but are forced to work long hours on low pay without any kip whatsoever. If they dare to complain they get the sack. Simple as.

So what we need to do is somehow to clamp down on these unscrupulous "foreign" employers but how are we supposed to do that?

Sorry. I said the word "foreign" 3 times in my last post.
That makes me a right racist barsteward doesn't it Johnboy?

So what we do is legislate that continental LHD cars and trucks are no longer to enter Britain. What do the supporters of this scheme think will happen to our truckers when they wish to drive on the continent.

I do think that foreign lhd vehicles should be restricted to the inside lane only, ie. they are not allowed to overtake by using the centre lane.
This would reduce the manouvering of these vehicles to a minimum, and the risks of these restricted view lorries causing mayhem, should be reduced.
The same rule would have to apply to british drivers driving on the continent.
Anything that would reduce the chance of the carnage of this recent tradgic event, is worth consideration.

Wotan

"I saw an LHD truck being driven badly before, therefore I know that this accident was caused because the driver was foreign"

yeah, right :rolleyes:

Okay so I said the word "foreign" but wrongly or rightly I find that LH lorry drivers are being worse than the RH drivers.

you are correct in saying that the foreign drivers are worse than the english drivers.
due to 9/10 foreign drivers are well over their daily driving time of 9 hours
or reduced sleep time due to the pressure the foreign companys put their drivers under and conditions they have to work to for the pay.

most who are over driving time or lack of sleep are glad to be pulled over and their driving suspended until they have made up their daily break thats the only way their companys take any notice when the police have informed them.

many of the irish firms are just as bad for using other drivers id or running no limiter
all these problems have been going on for 20, 30 yrs

I do think that foreign lhd vehicles should be restricted to the inside lane only, ie. they are not allowed to overtake by using the centre lane.
This would reduce the manouvering of these vehicles to a minimum, and the risks of these restricted view lorries causing mayhem, should be reduced.
The same rule would have to apply to british drivers driving on the continent.
Anything that would reduce the chance of the carnage of this recent tradgic event, is worth consideration.

Wotan

their is already alot of these in germany etc where at certain times of day or steep inclines you are restricted to one lane.

[quote="Bilioustrumpstaine";p="1033176]
If it is such a prolific problem on the M6 then unmarked traffic cars should patrol and fine the drivers caught driving without due care and attention, [/quote]

WHAT?! And do the camera computer centre out of a job?! Actually have subjectively-minded fleshy things patrolling round trying to catch dangerous drivers?!

Proposterous and a complete waste of the billions of pounds spend on surveillance... I mean speeding... I mean safety cameras. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back