Ban: Update From ODPM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ban

I have been pointed to this document, and told categorically that replacement of consumer units is notifiable in all instances.

The Building (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2004
Part P (Electrical Safety)PART 2 NEW SCHEDULE 2B TO THE BUILDING REGULATIONS 2004
“SCHEDULE 2B Regulation 12(5)
DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED

1. Work consisting of - (a) replacing any socket-outlet, control switch or ceiling rose; (b) replacing a damaged cable for a single circuit only; (c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected; (d) providing mechanical protection to an existing fixed installation, where the circuit protective measures and current carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by the increased thermal insulation.
2. Work which - (a) is not in a kitchen, or special location;(b) does not involve work on a special installation; and (c) consists of –(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit; (ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit; or (iii)installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding.

3. In paragraph 2 - “special installation” means an electric floor or ceiling heating system, a garden lighting or electric power installation, an electricity generator, or an extra-low voltage lighting system which is not a pre-assembled lighting set bearing the CE marking referred to in regulation 9 of the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994[8]; and “special location” means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671 : 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2”.

Sponsored Links
Oh I know what the law says (and whoever pointed you at that needs to get up to date - that amendment has been superseded - this is the latest one: Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 3210 The Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2004).

There is no way that replacing a CU is not, or should not, be notifiable - all I said was that if you look at the guidance on the ODPM website (here: http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_033480.hcsp or here for the printed leaflet: http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_033485.pdf ) it says, plainly and simply, "You do not need to tell your local authority's Building Control Department about repairs, replacements and maintenance work".

Someone reading that could, reasonably, interpret replacing a CU as replacement, and therefore not notifiable. I'm pretty sure it would be a useful defence - not in court, but then Mr Replacer wouldn't be there unless he'd done something terrible, in which case he should get what's coming to him, but if it was just a case of an LABC getting shirty, and you said to them "I'm sorry I didn't tell you but the Government said I didn't have to" it would probably help a lot.

Don't go back to the ODPM and stir it up...

securespark said:
Ban

I have been pointed to this document, and told categorically that replacement of consumer units is notifiable in all instances.

The Building (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2004
Part P (Electrical Safety)PART 2 NEW SCHEDULE 2B TO THE BUILDING REGULATIONS 2004
“SCHEDULE 2B Regulation 12(5)
DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED

1. Work consisting of - (a) replacing any socket-outlet, control switch or ceiling rose; (b) replacing a damaged cable for a single circuit only; (c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected; (d) providing mechanical protection to an existing fixed installation, where the circuit protective measures and current carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by the increased thermal insulation.
2. Work which - (a) is not in a kitchen, or special location;(b) does not involve work on a special installation; and (c) consists of –(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit; (ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit; or (iii)installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding.

3. In paragraph 2 - “special installation” means an electric floor or ceiling heating system, a garden lighting or electric power installation, an electricity generator, or an extra-low voltage lighting system which is not a pre-assembled lighting set bearing the CE marking referred to in regulation 9 of the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994[8]; and “special location” means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671 : 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2”.

if i read that correctly you can replace the CU enclosure and the isolators provided you keep the existing protective devices

1. Work consisting of - (a) replacing any control switch
(c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected;

if i read that correctly you can replace the CU enclosure and the isolators provided you keep the existing protective devices
If you decide an MCB is a control switch, looks like you can replace that, as long as it's like-for-like spec...

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected;

providing mechanical protection to an existing fixed installation, where the circuit protective measures and current carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by the increased thermal insulation.

and a DIYer is susposed to know what effect the current carrying capacity?! most will think that 2.5 can carry 27A in any conditions. after all, it does say it can carry 27A

BAS, after reading this forum for a while, i can see that the average DIYer doesnt even know what a switched live does at a ceiling rose. And you expect them to know that when you put a wire in insulation it cant carry as much current? Most DIYers dont even know that cables get warm in use, how are they going to realise this for themselves? Warnings should be placed on cable reels stating that the quoted current is the absolute maximum and that insulation and method of fixing will affect it adversely.

ban-all-sheds said:
andrew2022 said:
and a DIYer is susposed to know what effect the current carrying capacity?!
Why shouldn't they? It's not exactly rocket science...

not rocket science for sparks. but quite a few DIYers will think that because it says 27A, it can carry 27A wherever they put it

If you replace a Consumer Unit then it IS NOTIFIABLE, pure and simple, no matter how you attempt to re interpret what was written in the amendment.

The Consumer Unit contains an Isolator, THIS IS A CONTROL SWITCH FOR THE INSTALLATION (In 98% of cases the only one)

MCB's, RCD's, RCBO's are Individual circuit Control Switches.

There is no way around the definitions, no matter how much we may want to.

I have said this before though, and will say it again, in my honest opinion, replacing a consumer unit is not a job for a DIYer anyway, before installing the new board you should test all circuits in the board and complete an appropriate PIR sheet for them, DIYer have neither the equipment nor the experience to do this.

Now I await the flames from the usual suspects. :LOL:

FWL_Engineer said:
Now I await the flames from the usual suspects. :LOL:

here you go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back