Bang when vavle shuts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have recently moved into a new house that has a large Heat Store hot water tank. Whilst we love it with the mains pressure hot water we have an annoying problem I hope someone can help me with.

The system all works fine and is approx 3 years old. When the tank is full of hot water or it switches off on the timer we get a bang through the pipes. This appears to be when one of the valves located near the tank shuts.

Am i correct in thinking it is something to do with high water pressure and if so is there anything we can do to correct it?

Also will it be causing any lasting damage to the system in anyway?

Cheers

Robert

Sponsored Links
Honeywell valves quite often do it when the ball in the 3 port valve swells and sticks in position. When the spring attempts to close it it ends upputting a lot of tension on until it pulls the ball back which then hammers with a single thud.

Thanks for the response.

So is it a new valve to sort out? Is there anyway of testing that this is the cause before buying a new valve?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back