BANG!

Sponsored Links
It's a GU5.3 to ES converter.

Screw it into an ES lampholder with 230V supplied to it and you'll get 230V across the pins of your lamp with the GU5.3 base.

It's a GU5.3 to ES converter. Screw it into an ES lampholder with 230V supplied to it and you'll get 230V across the pins of your lamp with the GU5.3 base.
Given the price and size, you're almost certainly right - but you are do a little 'assuming' there!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It's a GU5.3 to ES converter.
The thing i can see is B22 and a bayonet thing :confused:
You're right - it's B22 to MR16 - and my brain didn't register that BAS was writing something totally different. Maybe he was talking about something other than the 'adapter' in the OP? Whatever, my recent comments still hold, hence ...
I have sent him a message asking the output
Thanks. If you can get an answer, that will obviously avoid any further assumption/speculation (and maybe, even, if the answer is 'surprising', may avoid the need for calls to close down eBay!).

Kind Regards, John

You're right - it's B22 to MR16
C'mon - don't mix your features up.

I's a B22 to GU5.3 adapter.

my brain didn't register that BAS was writing something totally different. Maybe he was talking about something other than the 'adapter' in the OP?
No - I was writing something different to the adapter in the OP even though that's what I was talking about.

Whatever, my recent comments still hold
Mine too.

It's a GU5.3 to BC converter.

Put it into an BC lampholder with 230V supplied to it and you'll get 230V across the pins of your lamp with the GU5.3 base.

disimulo.gif

You're right - it's B22 to MR16
C'mon - don't mix your features up.
Don't shoot the messenger - I was quoting correctly (including the 'mixed features') the description of the item in the eBay listing linked in the OP!

I'm starting to wonder whether we are really pointing fingers at the right people. Given that, as I think we have established, there are (a few) LV lamps with GU5.3 bases, I'm not sure that one can necessarily blame anyone for manufacturing and/or selling adapters which allow LV (from a lampholder with different base) to be delivered to a lamp with such a base.

Is not the real problem that (in some cases far more commonly than we're talking about here) LV and ELV lamps are allowed to have the same bases?

Kind Regards, John

Apparently it may be. What's the betting that all such lamps are made in China?
You may well be right - you can, for example, buy them wholesale (with free shipping from China) for $1.54 each from here

However, the country of origin is obviously irrelevant to the point I was making. As I said, if 230V lamps with GU5.3 bases are 'allowed' (and, at least to some extent, exist) in, say, the UK, then one really can't blame a manufacturer anywhere (whether China or Birmingham) for making an adapter. It's the fact that 230V and 12V (and other voltage) lamps are allowed to share the same base that is really the problem. For example, I have a stock of 12V B22 or E27 (can't remember which, without looking) 'GLS-style' bulbs for use in a couple of ELV inspection lights I have - and I have to 'lock them away', to avoid the possibilitry of another member of the household (or even me!) 'making the mistake'. I don't see that as a very good situation, do you?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back