Banging from pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope you can help

I will get the name/make of boiler etc if need be - but I just wanted to check if the problem is what I think it is:

Every time I turn either my heating or hot water on, I get a loud banging in the pipes and then the pilot light is blown out.

Would this mean there is air in the system somewhere? I have bled all radiators but to no avail ... and I'm freeeeezing! :cry:

Please let me know if you need to know what system I have etc. (Not that this will probably help - but I have recently (4 weeks ago) had a new thermocouple put in - and the system has been behaving perfectly until now ...

Thanks in advance! Sharon

Sponsored Links
Is the pump running? Remove large central screw thing. If it comes right out poke a small screwdriver in to feel the shaft turning. Expect to spill a dribble of water.
Next, yes more details please.

Hi

Do you mean the big screw on the front of the pump? I removed that (water dribbled as you said) and stuck my screwdriver in - nothing. Tried it the the pilot light lit and the heating on still nothing. Does it sound like the pump gone?

Can't see the name of the boiler anywhere on the oustside covering!.

Thanks for your help!!!

Sharon

Sponsored Links
Hi,

thanks for your help - I've replaced the pump and success! we have heat again!! :LOL: :D

Thanks again
Sharon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back