banging noises in my radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok prepare for a long story.......
Last February my boiler packed in so had a new one fitted (Worcester i junior) which has been brilliant, also the plumber fitted a new thermostat on the kitchen radiator as the rad wasn't getting hot and now that’s fine too.

The problem is that since then I get a very loud knocking noise in most of the radiators, it only happens when the temperature in the room makes the thermostat "kick in" so several times through out the day the banging will start, if you twist the thermostat or the ring beneath it, the banging stops, the rads have been bled several times and there is no air left in them.

I have read many similar posts and it points to TRV's should I change the TRV's on every banging rad? Why would they all go at once since the new boiler has been fitted?

Can anyone advise please?

Sponsored Links
Orientation of trv's incorrect try rotating dodgy valves through 90 degrees or swapping to other side of radiator

Ok to save me allot of work, would it only be the TRV that got replaced that is making all other rads knock, or will it be the TRV's on all knocking rads? my question being that they didn't knock before and they haven't swapped position on the radiators so why are they knocking now?

I have the same problem and it turns out that it is caused by an error by the engineer who fitted the new boiler.

Our old boiler, a Myson Midas Sfi, has the central heating return on the left and the central heating flow on the right whereas on the new Potterton Performa 24 they are the other way round.

The engineer, for some reason, did not take this into consideration and, because of this, connected them the wrong way round, which explains all the problems.

If your problem is caused by a similar error you should ask the firm that installed it to put everything right free of charge.

See my full posting on this forum regarding our particular problem.

I hope this is of help!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your post :)

That seems to make more sense as apart from the system being drained to fit the boiler, the radiators haven't been touched. So why would a least 5 rads in the house then all have trv's faulty on them? It has to be something with the boiler!

I have contacted the guy that fitted the boiler, lets hope that this solves the problem.

I've got a feeling that the guy who fitted my boiler can't be bothered to fix the problem, can I solve this problem by putting the thermostats on the other side of the radiator as surely is just a continuos loop in one direction or the other, if so, is this hard to do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back