Banging pipe when turning tap on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a leaky tap so I had a plumber change the tap for me, but now if i turn on the cold water I can hear a pipe banging. It doesn't happen when the hot water is turned on, or if the cold water tap is turned on gradually. The plumber said that this is most likely caused by pipes that aren't secured properly (1920's house).

The old tap was ridden with limescale and as a result was quite stiff to twist, so I'm thinking the reason it didn't bang before it because it was stiff and gave the same gradual turning that I have to do now.

The problem is that because the tap is new, you can pretty much touch it with your little finger to turn the tap on quite fast which results in a 'bang'.

I tried reducing the pressure using the main stop, but I can still hear the bang, and reducing it too much felt like there was too much pressure because the flow was reduced if that makes sense.

Is there anything else I can do to stop this bang without ripping open the walls to secure some pipes all because of a leaky tap!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could be a loose jumper inside the stop cock, try replacing it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back