banging pipes and leak through bedroom ceiling!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I recently moved into a victorian house. The hot water was not working but the heating was working fine. The hot water was fixed by replacing a faulty diverter valve and everything was then working great.

However, about a month ago a small leak was coming through the ceiling just below one of the tanks.

From looking at it, steam was condensing on the overflow pipe which was then dripping through the ceiling (the leak was long and thin and matched exactly where the pipe was; I've now wrapped this in bubble wrap so water wont condense on it). There was no evidence of any sort of leak from a pipe and the ballcock was functioning fine and all seals etc intact.

There are no leaks when the hot water/heating are not on.

I have two tanks in my attic, one small white one and a large black one. I confess I don't know what they are for, despite doing a lot of research online, as I couldn't find any information which helped me. I assume the large black tank is my cold water supply?
I have a very old back boiler and hot water cylinder which I'm waiting till I have my extension built to replace.

When the heating has been on for a few hours or the hot water has been on for an hour plus, the pipes start banging like mad and then I noticed another leak through the ceiling, this was to one side of the small white tank.
I inspected both tanks and both are fine, no cracks or anything, but regardless there is no leak unless the hot water/heating are on so I'm not worried about these being the cause.

I've been up in the attic today watching while the pipes were banging and the small water tank has a copper pipe which comes down into it from above (this tank is uncovered and there was no cover on it or around when I moved in).
When the pipes started banging, hlt water started chugging out of this pipe. At times the water would come out so quickly it would splash water out of the tank onto the area which matched the leak below, so this seems to be the cause of the leak.

My questions are:
What is the small water tank for?
Why/when does hot water come into the small tank from the copper pipe (as this is only intermittent)?
Why have the pipes started banging when they never did this before?

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me or give some advice.
I know I could probably put some sort of cover on the small tank (and maybe should do this anyway) but this it seems like this would be ignoring the problem!

I do have some photos I can post if they will help, will try to do this later anyhow.

Many thanks!

Abbi

Sponsored Links
Hi

The small tank is the header or feed and expansion tank for the boiler.

The larger one is for the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard.

The water (pumping over) chugging over is the hot waters need to expand and should be looked at by your plumber but is often due to years of corrosion that clogs the pipes. The banging is most likely down to the same issue.
If your extension is soon dont spend too much money soorting these problems out as a new boiler properly installed will address these problems.

HTH

Get a Gas Service Engineer to check the operation of your back Boiler's Control Thermostat - it sounds like the boiler is overheating (older gas boilers were not fitted with overheat protection -so they simply boil!! causing discharge of scalding water from the vent pipe over the small F&E tank this has the potential to be Dangerous!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back